Tying A Bow Tie In Three Basic Steps
A bow tie is an important accessory in mens wardrobes. It boosts men’s confidence as it is believed to bring out elegance and decency once worn. But there are steps involved on how to tie it. Here are three basic steps on how to tie a bow tie:
1. Bow Tie Measuring
- Lift up your collar. It is much easier to tie a bow tie when the collar is up. Therefore, ensure that the top button of your shirt is buttoned.
- Measure your neck. This should be done while standing up straight using a tailor’s tape measure. Neck measurement should start from the base of the neck to the front where your collar sits just around your Adam’s apple. The index finger should be placed between the tape to allow for room for breathing.
- Size the bow tie. To size the bow tie, move the slider or buttons depending on your neck measurement.
- Placing the bow tie around your neck. Make one end of the bow tie longer than the other. Later position the bow tie so that one end hangs longer than the other, regardless of the side the longer end is on.
2. Tying The Bow Tie
- Cross the tie so that the loop around your neck is large enough to work with. Ensure it is not dangling in front of your chest.
- Circle the longer end below where the two ends cross
- This is done by holding the point where the two ends cross over the front of your collar. Take the hanging piece of the longer end and circle it behind, and then up over the point of intersection. This is the point where you can pull both ends of the bow tie, tightening around your neck depending on your comfort. Then toss the longer end back over your shoulder.
- Lift up the hanging shorter end, folding it at the widest part of the bowed shape. Turn the whole portion 90 degrees so it faces horizontal, forming a loop pointing to the same side as the shoulder over which the longer piece is resting.
- Drop the longer end over the slim center of the bow.
- By taking the longer end off your shoulder, drop it over the slimmest part of the bow section
- Pinch the bow together in front of the longer end
- Left and right sides of the horizontally folded end should be placed and pinched together in front of the hanging end.
- Feed the middle of the hanging end back through the knot.
3. Finishing The Bow Tie
- The bow tie is tightened by pulling gently at the looped portions.
- Straighten it by twisting the loop at the front and back bows to achieve the desired position.
- At this point, it is perfectly tied and positioned and now you can lower your collar and get ready.