Men love getting their hands dirty. We take pride in being the stronger gender and being able to fix things around the house. That’s why we drool on keychain multi-tools. Unfortunately, they don’t always make us more adaptable and better equipped to face a multitude of manual tasks. Precisely for that reason why we’re about to take a look at the Swiss+Tech ST53100 Polished SS 19-in-1 multi-tool? 19-in-1, you’ve read it right. Sounds promising, doesn’t it?
Buying a Multi-Tool
Like I’ve mentioned, multi-tools are supposed to provide us with just the right tools to be able to face those practical challenges life sets before us. They need to make us feel confident that there ain’t a single thing we’re unable to fix.
Of course, it’s pretty clear that multi-tools aren’t built for everyone. EDC enthusiasts, hunters, and overall outdoorsy people will find these items utterly necessary. However, people whose go-to tool is a simple bottle opener shouldn’t waste their time nor money on items like the Swiss+Tech ST53100 Polished SS 19-in-1 . They’d be better off with a simple keychain item like the Shard Gerber multi-tool, for example.
Therefore, before you set off to spend some cash on one of these multi-tools, maybe it would be smart to ask yourself a couple of questions.
- Functionality – What is it that you really need? Would a minimalist, cool-looking keychain tool suffice your needs, or do you demand to have everything from a pair of pliers to a pry?
- Size – What does your everyday carry setup include? Is there enough space for a wallet multi-tool the size of a credit card?
- Materials – Are you looking for a lasting multi-tool which will serve you for years to come? Stainless steel, titanium, and aluminum are the best choices to make in regards to the construction materials.
The Promise of the Swiss+Tech ST53100 Polished SS 19-in-1
As you’re able to see from the photo, the Swiss+Tech ST53100 Polished SS 19-in-1 is the ultimate foldable keychain multi-tool. Sure, you’re not obliged to wear it on your keychain, but nonetheless, it’s worth knowing that it does provide such a function.
What the manufacturers were trying to do with this item is set a bar in regards to how many functions one little EDC gadget can carry. If you compare it to the Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier, a similar product on the market, you’d see that it provides 3 more functions whilst being much more compact as well as wearable on a keychain.
Look, if you enjoy traveling around the country on your bike, this multi-tool will prove itself as a worthy companion. You’d be able to both fix your bike when it gives up on you, as well as seamlessly go through your camping adventures.
- You get 19 different functions
- It is made from stainless steel to ensure a decent level of reliability and durability
- It is foldable which is more than convenient for everyday carry
- It lacks a locking mechanism
- You might need a rubber band whilst wearing it on your keychain otherwise it can fall off
- It’s kind of hard to use the bottle opener
Features and Benefits of the Swiss+Tech ST53100 Polished SS 19-in-1
The Overall Design and Finish
We are dealing with a stainless steel multi-tool with an overall decent finish. Regardless of its compact size it fits nicely in the hand and given its foldable nature, it’s incredibly convenient to carry around. Moreover, it weighs only 3.2 ounces. Granted, the foldability of the tool is a blessing and a curse, because it doesn’t come with a locking mechanism. This can be a nuisance when you’re trying to use the pliers with some pressure and authority. Also, both the pliers and the screwdrivers are beautifully machined. This is great news if you’re not looking to strip some screws.
Okay, let’s see what this baby has to offer when it comes to its functions:
- A pair of pliers
- ¼-inch hex wrench
- 7/16 inch hex wrench
- Wire cutter
- Wire crimper
- 3 flat screwdriver
- Wire stripper
- 3 Phillips screwdrivers
- Nail file
- Bottle opener
- Hand drill
- Metric and imperial rulers and ruler extensions
In order to showcase how reliable their product actually is, Swiss+Tech are giving out a limited lifetime warranty on this multi-tool of theirs.
Swiss+Tech ST53100 Polished SS 19-in-1 Micro Pocket Multitool for Camping, Outdoors, Hardware
- Includes 2 hex wrenches 1/4″, 7/16″, 6 screwdrivers #0,1,2 flat #0,1,2 Phillips
- Also includes pliers, bottle opener, wire cutter and stripper, wire crimper
- Hand drill, file, 2 rulers (mm and inch), 2 ruler extensions (mm and inch)
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Can be used for camping, outdoors, hardware, auto, hunting – a great men’s gift!
Honestly, I’m more than pleased with how well this multi-tool behaves. Of course, if the fact that it costs no more than $16 strays away from your mind, some of its flaws could overwhelm you, leading you to believe that it’s not good value for money. But it is. Since you won’t be building a house with it, a non-existing locking mechanism on the screwdrivers won’t become a thorn in your side. It’s an affordable multi-tool designed to last.
What About the Alternatives?
There are a plethora of alternatives on the market nowadays. However, keep in mind that not a lot of them are as affordable as the Swiss+Tech. The SOG CrossCut is a decent alternative because it costs less than $20 and also has a foldable design. But, instead of the pliers, you get a pair of scissors and a few more functions including a pair of screwdrivers, tweezers, and a nail cleaner. If you’re yearning for a scissor-based multi-tool, make sure to give the CrossCut a try.
- Stainless steel body
- It makes a great all around cross cut tool
- Comes with a nice satin finish
- Has fewer functions than the Swiss+Tech ST53100
- The scissors aren’t very sharp
SOG Specialty Knives & Tools CC51-CP Cross Cut Multi-Tool, 9-Tools Combined, Satin Finish
- Spring-loaded scissors
- Small and medium flat screwdrivers
- Tweezers, nail file/cleaner
- Cross Cut multi-tool is equipped for cutting, gripping, personal care and the unexpected and is lightweight and compact for easy carrying
- 420 stainless steel multi-tool with a satin finish
Craftsman 10-in-1 Mini Multi-Tool
Well, if you thought that a multi-plier pocket tool could not get any cheaper, think again. The Craftsman retails for only $11! It too has a foldable design, it’s lightweight, and comes with an anodized aluminum handle! Included functions are a knife, hard file, can opener, awl, a few screwdrivers, and others. It’s perfect for a beginner EDC pocket tool.
- Extremely affordable
- It can endure almost any test
- Very practical to use
- I’m not sure if there are any
Craftsman 10-in-1 Mini Multi Tool, Red
- Anodized aluminum handle. Light weight, rust resistant. Durable, compact folding design. Approx. 2-3
- Durable, compact folding design
- Approx. 2-3/4 in. x 1/2 in. folded. Snips head out when fully opened
Gerber Dime Multi-Tool
Moving up the ladder. The Gerber Dime usually retails for around $25 which is still a very decent price! Given that it’s a Gerber we’re talking about, reliability and durability can never be questioned. The Dime is equipped with 10 different functions including a pair of pliers, wire cutter, scissors, tweezers, and many more. If you’re serious about your EDC setup, make sure to check out the Dime.
- Very sturdy and reliable
- Equipped with 10 highly practical tools
- A good price for a Gerber piece
- Scissors are very dull
Gerber Dime Multi-Tool, Black [30-000469]
- Sturdy stainless steel construction
- Compact, lightweight size fits perfectly in pocket – a daily companion for any task
- 10 tools: Needle nose spring-loaded pliers, Wire cutter, Fine edge blade, Retail package opener, Scissors, Medium flat driver, Crosshead driver, Bottle opener, Tweezers, File
- Convenient, easily accessible butterfly opening
- Overall length: 4.25 inches, Closed Length: 2.75 inches
Whether you’re an EDC enthusiast or not, the Swiss+Tech ST53100 Polished SS 19-in-1 will help make you a better handyman. The great thing about it is that it provides an astonishing level of adaptability whilst remaining portable and light. Additionally, regardless of your budget, almost everybody can afford to get it. Who doesn’t appreciate that?
If you are at all intrigued by the Swiss+Tech ST53100 Polished SS 19-in-1, make sure to check it out. My stance is that you have nothing to lose.