As far as I’m concerned, breaking with tradition is always a good thing. Because, more than anything, it shows that we’re evolving as a species. It shows that we’re constantly becoming better at understanding what is it that we really need. As it turned out, we needed the Ray Ban New Wayfarer sunglasses. The Original Wayfarers are, of course, a classic. However, they aren’t the most versatile of sunglasses, not by a far. Atop of that, the old-fashioned “Pantoscopic Tilt” makes them unwearable to some. So, the question is, can the Ray Ban New Wayfarer beat the Original? Let’s find out.
Is the Ray Ban New Wayfarer a Good Choice?
The answer is both “OF COURSE” and “it depends”. When you’re looking into the category of best sunglasses for men, the Wayfarers are always in the conversation. Just take a look at some of the most important men of the 20th century and you’ll see that most of them wore Wayfarers. JFK, Bob Dylan, Andy Warhol, the list goes on. However, the Original ones were not exactly famous for their versatility. They were also pretty huge with a pronounced forward angle.
Luckily, the Ray Ban New Wayfarer sunglasses have changed all of that. You don’t have to have an oblong and large head with a decent tan to be able to wear them decently. Nevertheless, they still aren’t the most complementary sunglasses in regards to wearing a suit. They have maintained their nonchalant nature. Therefore, if you’re into wearing suits, you’d be better off with a pair of Ray-Ban Clubmaster sunglasses, or one of the Aviator models.
Before you decide on purchasing these sunglasses, take into consideration the following things:
- Ray Ban New Wayfarer sunglasses work best with rather casual clothes which exclude men’s scarves and other fancy accessories.
- The Wayfarers always come in a variety of colors because the plain black ones don’t work for people with lighter tans.
- Try to make the purchase during the offseason. Meaning, buy your sunglasses during the winter, for you’ll surely be able to find a better deal then than in mid-summer.
The Ray Ban New Wayfarer Sunglasses
When compared to the Original model, there are three major improvements worth mentioning. First, the pronounced forward tilt has been significantly reduced making it possible to wear the New Wayfarer on top of your head. Second, the frame on the New Wayfarer is a bit narrower so that people with smaller heads can finally wear these sunglasses without looking silly. Third, the New Wayfarers come with new technology lenses which provide more clarity and natural vision.
All in all, these sunglasses are great for people who prefer a modern and light design, perching sunglasses on top of their heads, as well as being trendy. On the other hand, if you have a fuller head, like polarized lenses, and love the classic Ray-Ban look, the Original Wayfarers are the ones for you.
Let’s sum up the pros and cons of the Ray Ban New Wayfarer sunglasses:
- Reduced forward tilt
- Narrower and lighter frame
- Better lens technology
- They don’t sport a classic vibe
- Hinges seem to be lousier than before
- They feel less robust
Ray-Ban RB2132 New Wayfarer Gradient Unisex Sunglasses
- Model: RB2132.
- Original Ray Ban Packaging, Case and Cleaning Cloth included.
- Gender: Unisex.
- Plastic Lens/ Polarized Lens/Gradient Lens/ Mirror Lens
- Made in Italy
What Makes the Ray Ban New Wayfarer Sunglasses?
Let’s start things off with the plastic frame. As I’ve previously mentioned, when compared to the original Wayfarers, the frame on the new ones has been tampered with, meaning that it’s now considerably smaller. The crucial advantage of this change is that the sunglasses no longer take up most of your face and dominate it. So, finally, people with smaller heads can enjoy the Wayfarers without having to pay the price of looking silly.
The Ray Ban New Wayfarer sunglasses come in two different sizes. You can either settle for the smaller 52mm version, which usually works for younger people and women or the larger 55mm one, which most adults end up choosing. The arms on the New Wayfarers are 144 mm long, the temple is 145mm high, whereas the bridge is 18mm wide.
Lastly, the shape is far less angular on the New Wayfarer model. My God is this a blessing from the skies. Literally from the skies. If you’ve ever worn the original Wayfarer sunglasses, you’re most certainly aware that the pronounced tilt of the frame allows the sun to hit your eyes from the top. No one wants that. So, kudos for that one Ray-Ban. It took you a while to sort the issue out. Up until now, we had to choose some of the best men’s hats to wear with the wayfarers in order to keep the sun away from our faces.
When it comes to the lenses, it’s worth mentioning that the new technology used to manufacture them allows a much crisper and clearer vision than the original lenses used to provide. Of course, you’re able to get yourself both regular or polarized lenses, depending on which type you prefer more. Truth be told, if you’re an avid driver, the original polarized lenses do provide a bit more contrast and reflection reduction which are perfect for that exact purpose. There’s no doubt in my mind that the original ones are one of the best polarized sunglasses for men.
However, when it comes to everyday carry, the clarity of vision which the new technology lenses provide are incomparable to the older ones. They are that much better.
The only issue I have with the Ray Ban New Wayfarer sunglasses are the hinges. For some reason, they don’t work as well as the ones on the original version do. It feels as though they aren’t well lubricated and built, so you get a lot of noise out of them. Now, I’m not saying that they won’t last. Nonetheless, given that you’re paying a substantial amount of money for them, you don’t expect to encounter issues of such sorts. Nor should you ever.
Some Viable Options
Ray-Ban Men’s 0RB2132 Wayfarer Sunglasses
The first obvious alternative to the Ray Ban New Wayfarer model has to be the original one, right? If you’re into the classic retro vibe that the original Wayfarers bring to the scene, don’t think twice. Just get them. Moreover, to make the best of them, get the ones with the polarized lenses. They are simply amazing!
- The wider frame provides a cool retro vibe to the wearer
- Their polarized lenses make them great for driving
- Too pronounced of an angle allows the sun to go through as well as prevents the wearer to perch them on top of the head
- Given their large frame, they don’t work well with smaller heads
Ray-Ban Men’s New Wayfarer Polarized Square, Tortoise, 58 mm
- 100% UV PROTECTION: To protect your eyes from harmful UV rays, these Wayfarer sunglasses are polarized and coated with 100% UV protection. The 58 mm x 43 mm lenses are durable and polarized.
- REDUCE EYE STRAIN: Ray-Ban RB2132 unisex Wayfarer sunglasses feature precision-cut lenses, which reduce eye strain. They are great to wear on both sunny and hazy days.
- UNISEX RAY-BAN SUNGLASSES: The classic Ray-Ban Wayfarer is a comfortable, fashionable, and durable pair of unisex sunglasses. The combination of durable plastic frame with green G-15 glass lenses is legendary.
- DURABLE ACETATE FRAMES: Ray-Ban polarized Wayfarer sunglasses are exceptionally durable. The frame is made from lightweight and strong acetate. The bridge measures 18 mm, and the arms are 145 mm for an easy, comfortable fit.
- MULTIPLE FRAME AND LENS COLORS: These Ray-Ban sunglasses for women and men are designed in multiple frame and lens colors. Find a color combination that fits your personal brand and style.
Oakley Holbrook Sunglasses
In case you’re interested in spicing things up a bit with a more modern look than the Oakley Holbrook sunglasses have to get a look in. Granted, they aren’t the most modern of Oakley’s models but they come with the optimized peripheral vision, extreme impact resistance, glare reduction, and much more “smart” features.
- Packed with a bunch of smart features
- Extremely durable and impact resistant
- Very comfortable
- What’s not to love about the Oakley Holbrook sunglasses?
Oakley Holbrook Sunglasses, Grey Smoke Frame/Black Iridium Lens, One Size
- Lenses are prescription ready (Rx-able)
Ray-Ban Classic Clubmaster
The final alternative has to be yet another classic. The Clubmaster are one of the most popular sunglasses in the world. I personally love them because of their sleek look and incredible versatility. You’re able to wear them both with casual clothes as well as formal ones without ever having to compromise the coolness of your look.
- A timeless design
- Incredibly comfortable
- One of the most versatile sunglasses ever created
- They aren’t polarized
So, have the Ray Ban New Wayfarer sunglasses become a worthy replacement for the original ones? My answer will be both yes and no. The tilt issue has been solved, as well as the matter of a ludicrously large frame. Therefore, they have become more versatile sunglasses.
However, the retro vibe has been lost somewhere along the way of designing the new model. That’s not necessarily a bad thing but I’m not at all convinced that it’ll make the fans of the original ones make the transition. In the end, it all falls down to personal preferences and likings.
Either way, I think that the Ray-Ban New Wayfarer should get a look in, regardless of their revamped design. At the end of the day, we’re still talking about the Ray-Ban Wayfarers.