In case you are looking to get yourself a decent minimalist wallet, but you are fed up with traditional-looking pieces that are all over the market, brace yourself, because the completely unique Pitaka Magwallet has entered the scene! With it, we will finally be able to access our credit cards faster and easier than ever before. Sure, old-school credit card slots do the job, but a lot of the time they can be a source of utter misery. Luckily, the Pitaka wallet is here to make things smarter and more practical. Therefore, let us delve deeper into this carbon fiber wonderland.
Why Not Settle For a Traditional Wallet?
I think I could write a whole book on why a minimalist wallet is a better option than a classical bifold. However, we do not have that type of time on our hands. Instead, let me just give you a few reasons why.
- Apart from being far too heavy (which is a serious health hazard), traditional wallets prevent you from being genuinely organized. Since they provide a plethora of different pockets and compartments, filling them with unnecessary expired cards and old receipts is an expected consequence.
- The traditional way in which you would store your credit cards is not very practical and efficient. Especially when you have to act fast, it can be a real struggle to find and pull out your cards quickly.
- Traditional wallets basically all look the same, give or take (much like phone cases). Stumbling upon something truly authentic, like the Dango wallet, is a rarity.
If you too are looking to have a user-friendly, smartly designed, unique looking wallet which will help you minimize the weight of your pockets. A minimalist wallet like the Pitaka might become one of the smartest investments you will ever make. On the other hand, if you are not prepared to give up on the spaciousness of a traditional wallet, nothing is stopping you from getting a bulky trifold.
Before you make your final decision, think about the following aspects:
- Health – Robust classic wallets can cause a lot of back and hip pain if worn in the back pocket.
- Organization – It is hard to neatly organize your most essential items with a traditional wallet.
- The X-Factor – Traditional wallets are rarely a conversation starter.
Pitaka Magwallet – What Is The Fuss All About?
The Pitaka magwallet is special for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it is a carbon fiber wallet. When you look at it from the side, you can clearly see numerous carbon fiber layers sandwiched together. And what does carbon fiber stand for? Durability and lightness!
Granted, the Pitaka magwallet is not the only carbon fiber wallet on the market. However, amongst them, you can either go with a bifold or a money clip wallet. Not much diversity, huh? For example, the Fidelo is a carbon fiber wallet but has no other notable features apart from the material it is made from.
On the other hand, the Pitaka magwallet is a never-ending source of exceptional features. What you get when you purchase it, is a standard 6 card holder. All card slots are held together by a smart magnetic system which allows you to simply swipe away the layers, creating a fanning effect. However, you can always purchase additional layers, as well as a money clip or a thicker box layer (for holding your cash, coins, keys, SD cards, etc.).
So far, it is clear that all of you who are fascinated by innovative designs and minimalist accessories, in general, will find this wallet very appealing. Once again, if you are not prepared to sacrifice the spaciousness of a traditional wallet for the sake of comfort and practicality, there are many other options to choose from.
- Solid carbon fiber body
- Brilliant modular design and magnet system
- Easily accessible credit cards
- Optional expansion of layers
- Optional money clip and box layer
- Due to the positioning of the magnets, you can swipe off the top layer if you do not swipe from the right side.
- Even though it is understandable, the wallet is pretty pricey (just the standard 6 card holder is $80).
- Every single extension costs from $25-$35.
What Makes The Pitaka Magwallet?
The Magnet System
Each and every layer (module) holds three integrated magnets. Two smaller ones are positioned at the top left and right corner, whereas the main magnet is at the bottom of the module. When you stack these layers on top of each other like a deck of cards, you basically get a closed wallet. In order to open it, you only need to give the top layer a bit of a push on the side and it will slide up until the point the left top magnet of the top layer reaches the top right magnet of the bottom layer. From then on, you can just use your thumb to slide out the card you need.
You can check out this video for a demonstration of how this magnet system works.
The most basic form of the Pitaka wallets consists of 4 layers. The top layer just has the Pitaka logo at the bottom right corner but serves no purpose other than being a lid. However, the bottom layer is actually the anti-degaussing layer which is designed especially for magnetic strip credit cards. Other layers are not suited for them because the magnetic force would actually demagnetize them. So, you have to be careful! Like I have mentioned before, in case you are in need of additional layers, you can always purchase more for $25 a piece. Additional modules include the money clip layer and the box layer. The former runs at $30, whereas the latter one runs at $35.
Quick Tip – Pitaka sells different combinations of layers as independent versions. These are great because you would spend less money on them than you would on creating the exact same set with independently purchased pieces!
Size, Value, and Other Features
The Pitaka wallet is 4 inches long and 2.6 inches wide. Like all minimalist wallets, it is made to fit the front pocket of all trousers, no matter how skinny they are. The height of the wallet depends on how many layers it has. For example, the six module version is only 0.5 inches high! Of course, if you go overboard with the layers, not only is the wallet going to be high, but pretty heavy as well.
Long-term speaking, I think that it is better to spend a few more bucks on an item that you know will last you a long time. The Pitaka wallet is that kind of an investment. You might not want to bust out around $100 for a wallet right now, but, given time, it does pay off. I understand it sucks that you have to go through additional expenses in order to get extra features like the money clip, but once again, it might be the only money clip you will ever have to buy.
Other important features worth mentioning are RFID blocking which the Pitaka wallet provides, and an optional Tool Card which includes a bottle opener and a screwdriver both of which work brilliantly.
PITAKA Magwallet,Minimalist Slim Carbon Fiber Modular Card Holder RFID Blocking Wallet
- Easy to use. All cards could be spread out in front of you. You can easily find a particular card in need. And you can fold or unfold it with one hand.
- Built with carbon fibre and enhanced by revolutionary Aramidcore technology, it is Slim (0.47 inch) Light (1.59 ounces) , and durable (a lifetime warranty)
- Unique Customized High-speed Cutting Technique- makes the card holder fit your pocket perfectly and ensure the card won’t fall out from the holder even they are facing downside.
- Magnetic Modular Design – enables you to add as many cards as you like and open with one hand for maximum ease and comfort.
- Notice: apply to Chip Cards but Not Magnetic Stripe Cards – magnetic stripe cards placed inside may get demagnetized due to the magnetism in card-holder.
FIDELO Carbon Fiber Slim Wallet
Fidelo’s carbon fiber slim wallet is definitely one of the bestsellers because of its simplicity, durability, and affordability. Priced at around $20, it is a lot less expensive than the Pitaka magwallet. If you are a hard-core minimalist, this will be the perfect wallet for you, because, other than the billfold band, it includes no other features.
- Fits up to 15 credit cards
- Has a billfold band
- Has a carbon fiber frame
- Comes with for different billfold bands
- No RFID Blocking
- When full it is hard to slide out your cards
FIDELO Credit Card Holder Minimalist Wallet – Carbon Fiber Slim Wallet Money Clip
- 4 TRENDY BAND COLORS – HOLDS UP TO 15 CARDS & CASH: FIDELO Mens wallets come with all 4 stylish colored bands shown: MIDNIGHT BLACK, CHARCOAL GREY, SMOKE GREY & now a BONUS BLUE (while supplies last). The 4 Premium elastics with fashionable leather accents are durable and resilient. WON’T STRETCH OUT LIKE SILICONE or LATEX BANDS.
- MODERN DESIGN with EASY CHIP ACCESS: Constructed from Genuine Premium Quality Carbon Fiber, this is a super thin product, has a modern sleek look, smooth polished edges and will last a lifetime. The unique push & pull access points eliminate the frustration of difficult card retrieval experienced with many other minimalist wallets and credit card holders.
- ULTRA SLIM, SUPER STRONG & LIGHT WEIGHT: small design fits comfortably in any pocket, extremely durable & built too last, scratch resistant and remains compact even when filled with your drivers license – ID – cards – cash etc. allowing users to eliminate that unsightly back OR front pocket wallet bulge.
- PURCHASE 100% RISK FREE: If you’re not completely satisfied with your purchase, then neither are we! All FIDELO products are backed by a 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. No matter how big or small, if you have any issue we will fix it. Simply contact us and our support team will make it right. Your purchase is also protected by a 30 DAY, no questions asked, money back guarantee as well!
- AWESOME GIFTS FOR MEN: FIDELO Wallets for Men make the best gift ideas for guys who think they have everything and need nothing. If you’re looking for a unique Christmas, Birthday, Fathers Day, Graduation or just because gift, look no further and surprise him with one of our stylish carbon fiber wallets.
The Ridge Carbon Fiber
The second carbon fiber alternative is the Ridge . Now, this particular wallet is even more expensive than the Pitaka magwallet with the price tag of $115. What you get is a carbon fiber frame which can hold up to 12 credit cards and an elastic cash strap or a stainless steel money clip. The Ridge provides RFID blocking, it is light and reduces your everyday carry. If you are looking for a simple yet extravagant card holder, check out the Ridge.
- RFID protection
- Comes with a cash strap or a money clip
- Fits up to 12 credit cards without being bulky
- Too expensive for a card holder
Ikepod Men’s Money Clip
In case you are a fan of the classic bi-fold wallet, but you want to go minimalist, make sure you check out the Ikepod Carbon slim wallet. It is made from genuine full-grain Italian Nappa leather and has a 3M carbon fiber exterior. You also get a money clip and RFID protection with this wallet, as well as two inner and outer card pockets which can fit up to 6 credit cards.
- Made from genuine Italian Nappa leather
- Provides RFID protection
- Includes a money clip
- Only fits shorter currencies
- If you put more than 10 bills in it it becomes bulky
Ikepod Mens Money Clip [3M Carbon Fiber Front Pocket Size] [RFID Blocking//Slim Stitching!]
- Made Only for Short Currency ( USD ) // Modern Minimalism design — After Put 6 cards and 10 bills, The size still goes prefect fix any front pocket . Say Goodbye to your fat or poor design wallets !
- Latest in Slim Stitching – Classic V design, inner two card slots , size for front pocket , top handmade crafts , This is our Ikepod Money Clip , your new cool gear !
- Geninue 3M Carbon Fiber , 100% Full-grain Italy Made nappa leather , Not just genuine leather, but Italian Imported, full-grain and Eco-friendly vegetable turned !
- RFID/NFC Blocking Function, Worldwide RFID protection ALL frequencies – ALL cards. The inner antimagnetic fabric passed the ISO/IEC 14443 quality standard.
- Ikepod products are covered by a 2 year warranty from the day you were bought, when used under normal conditions and for the purpose intended. This warranty covers faults in materials and workmanship, but does not apply if damage is caused by unreasonable use or neglect, normal wear and tear or if you just change your mind.
The Bottom Line Is?
From the bottom to the top, this carbon fiber wallet is exceptional. I say this because it solves most of the problems with which the traditional and minimalist wallets are faced. Its modular design provides one of the most user-friendly opening/closing systems ever seen. In addition to that, it is made out of a material that is as tough and durable as can be, it is light and compact, and most of all, it looks stunning.
If you were intrigued by this wallet and are thinking about possibly giving it a second look, I truly think it will be worth your while.