Becoming a great handyman requires three simple elements; having the right tool, applying the right amount of pressure, and doing so at the right time. The last two come with many hours of practice and an understanding of the work you are undertaking. However, the right tool, or tools in the case of the Gerber Suspension Multi-plier, is a lot easier to come by.
Here we want to look at the positives of owning a pair of multi-pliers for the modern handyman, as well as how investing in them advances your DIY-manship to the next level.
Things to Consider
When it comes to pocket multi-tools, it’s argued that the smaller they are the better. Otherwise, you know, it’s not a pocket tool.
Where that is true that the smaller a device is, the more portable it becomes, there is no need to sacrifice functionality for size. Leatherman Micra proves that beautifully. Many outlets will try and sell you on the dimensions of an everyday carry device (known as EDC gear). However, they’ll fail to go into details on the useful features of the device. Most likely because there aren’t any.
We would say that a good rule of thumb when shopping around for pocket multi-tools is to stay away from the products that focus only on the size. It will probably not be worth the money they are asking for it.
Types and Functionality
There are many different shapes and sizes available on the market. From handheld to wallet multi-tool sizes, it would be insane for you not to find the perfect one for you. Additionally, another focus that should be addressed is what the device can offer you by way of its toll components.
However, when you are searching for a multi-tool device you are, of course, not going to settle for just a wrench or just a screwdriver. You want something that blows your mind at how so many different components are designed to be stacked one atop of the other. Moreover, how they’re all useful for everyday circumstances.
Nonetheless, be warned.
Do not go about searching for a pocket multi-tool device that boasts at having more than fourteen functions. A device that exceeds that many functions just makes the tool weighty, thus making it not ideal for a portable pocket edition of your toolkit.
Materials that are used to construct the frames, handles, and the very tool components themselves, need to be sturdy and reliable metals like stainless steel. It goes without saying that plastics don’t hold the same strength that is required in them when your tools are in use.
The Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier
This pocket multi-tool performs brilliantly under pressure and looks the business as well. To tell the truth, Gerber multi-tools are common in the world of the DIY handyman, and the Multi-Plier is no exception to that.
As the title suggests, this tool is indeed a set of pliers. Yet much, much more.
The multi-tool aspects are set into its design by fanning out of the hollow frame of the pliers’ handles. The frame is lightweight with a spring-loaded butterfly suspension.
Up to 12 different tool components are stacked up and securely locked within the frame. Atop of that, they’re easily deployed when you are in need of them.
All in all, another great work from a leading manufacturer.
- Incorporation of Saf.T.Plus technology gives the Multi-Plier a smart and secure locking system. Keeping all of its tool components from sliding into play when the Multi-Plier is not in use.
- The open frame handles for the Multi-Plier are constructed of solid stainless steel materials. Making it lightweight, durable, and it feels aesthetically sound in the hand.
- Somehow, the folks over at Gerber figured out how to add 12 tool components to a frame handle that reaches up to 4” inches in length.
- Comes in a canvas pouch made of nylon and canvas materials, that is not the best quality, unfortunately.
- Having 12 different tool components stacked against one another in such close quarters makes it stiff and a little difficult to open up some of the smaller parts of the Multi-Plier.
- Though the spring-action pliers are the focal point of this multi-tool device, you can not administer a large amount of force when you are using them. Overexertion of the pliers is not recommended, so take care when they are in use.
Features and Benefits of the Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier
This pocket multi-tool packs a lot into such a small handheld package with a fair few functions added in for good measure.
Gerber developed many patents over their years of manufacturing the multi-tool range, most of which are present in this device.
Secure Locking Technology
Almost all multi-tool pliers have decent locking technology that keeps the tools that are in use deployed and the ones that are not secure in their holster. The Saf.T.Plus unit in use on the Gerber Suspension Multi-plier works twice as hard in keeping all the tools locked in place.
This tech is most effective against the sharpest elements of the device. Also, the saw and knife edges are kept well in check and out of harm’s way.
Suspension Butterfly Frame
Sets of portable pliers usually use a butterfly handle design to be more accommodating to the user. Namely, folding the handles over the plier tips keeps them safe and secure when you are on the move.
Essentially, you won’t pierce your bag or the inside of your pocket.
Additionally, Gerber works a spring-loaded suspension into their butterfly frame so that they whip into action almost as quickly as you do. Thanks to the Saf.T.Plus tech, while this happens all your tools stay in their compartments until you invite them to the party.
What Tool Components are Included?
Here is a concise listing of all of the tools that come with the Gerber Multi-Pliers , which are located within the lightweight handles and ready for use;
- Needle-nose Pliers
- Wire Cutter
- A Straight Blade
- And a Serrated Blade
- Phillips-head Screwdriver
- Large, and Medium Flathead Screwdrivers
- A pair of Scissors
- Bottle Opener
- Can Opener
- And a Lanyard Ring
Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier [22-01471]
- Suspension Multi-Plier multitool with 12 integrated components
- Saf.T.Plus component locking system guarantees safety
- Lightweight open-frame stainless steel handle
- Includes a ballistic nylon sheath
- Weighs 9.6 oz; Closed Length: 4 inches; limited lifetime warranty
Overall, this is definitely a fantastic device well worth your attention. Nevertheless, there are always improvements and tweaks to be made for the better. For example, there are features apparent in other products that the Gerber team left out of these pliers. So, if they do not offer you the features you need, keep looking around.
That being said, take a look at a couple of these different pocket multi-tools we have found for you. There are many different kinds of features and benefits in other multi-tools, so, why not browse them all.
One of the closest competitors to the Gerber multi-plier is from the Rubheen brand of tools. This device works in very much the same way as the Gerber. Meaning that it’s mainly focused as a set of pliers, fanning out the multi-tools from the handles, and its butterfly movement.
Whilst it does have a lot in common with the Gerber, there are some unique qualities that it possesses that make it worth looking into. Anyway, if the Gerber is not really your style, this is.
- The Rubheen Sidekick has tools that are operated using only one hand. Working to be similar in function to the pocket knife.
- When any blade or tool on this device is in use it has a special locking system that prevents it from being folded away unless manually locked back. The lock works to keep the tolls out of use also.
- The main pivot points in the butterfly movement of the Rubheen is a little loose. Making it feel less sturdy in the hand than the Gerber does.
Rubheen Multi Plier 12 in 1 Suspension Multi-Plier Multitool, Stainless Steel Black
- FEATURING 12 TOOLS: Spring-action Needle nose Pliers, Spring-action Regular Pliers, Spring-action Wire Cutters ,Wire Stripper, Saw Blade, Can Opener, Bottle Opener, Wood/Metal File, Phillips Screwdriver, Medium Slotted Screwdriver, Large Knife Blade, Key Buckle.
- READY FOR ANYTHING: The Multi plier is your go-to tool for projects around the house, on the job, or at the campsite. Conquer your everyday. The Sidekick features tools that are accessible while the tool is in its folded or closed position, mimicking the functionality of a pocket knife.
- LOCKING BLADE: The knife blade on the Sidekick locks into place when fully deployed and must be manually unlocked to fold away providing a much safer user experience.
- ONE-HANDED OPERABLE: Every feature on the Sidekick can be opened and operated with one hand. This enables you to keep the other hand free for situations that require multi-tasking or a free hand.
Leatherman – Wingman Multitool
If there wasn’t a Leatherman multi-tool listed somewhere in this piece, we would not be doing our jobs properly. Leatherman is one of the best-known tool brands on the marketplace today, and they produce some of the best multi-tool devices out there.
The Wingman, though not the figurehead of the brand, is an impressive tool to keep in your arsenal. No matter what, it has your back. Thanks to a 25-year limited warranty, this device is ready for anything at all times.
- Includes up to 14 tools worked into the handles of the Wingman at the hilt and the ends.
- This Leatherman’s newly designed spring-action jaws keep everything stacked in their respective areas and only allows them to lock in and out of use with ease.
- The Wingman does not come with a sheath, like many of its competitors. But fortunately, it does have a pocket clip affixed.
Leatherman – Wingman Multitool, Stainless Steel (831426)
- READY FOR ANYTHING: The Wingman is your go-to tool for projects around the house, on the job, or at the campsite. Conquer your everyday.
- FIT MORE FUNCTIONALITY: The Wingman is equipped with 14 tools, including a knife, pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutters, a wire stripper, scissors, a package opener, bottle and can openers, a file, and a ruler.
- LET’S BE PRACTICAL: Sometimes you only have one hand to spare. The Wingman only requires one hand to open and use all the tools, even the ones that aren’t accessible from the outside. And with a locking blade, you can cut with confidence.
- ALWAYS ON HAND: With its compact size, lightweight design, and removable pocket clip, your Wingman is always within reach and ready to work.
- GUARANTEED: Our 25-year limited warranty ensures that your Leatherman will give you many years of dependable service. Just send it in and we’ll fix it up. All Leatherman multitools are made and repaired right here in the USA.
RoverTac Multitools Plier
Not the leading brand in multi-tools, honestly not even close, but the RoverTac brand offers sturdy and reliable products that stand by their users. This multi-plier uses are found to be similar to the Gerber’s with little differences here and there that give it an edge on the market. Mostly, its price tag.
- A tougher gauge of plier and wire cutters lead the design of the RoverTac. They work very well under pressure.
- Comes with different tools to the Gerber. Like a file, three sizes of flathead screw heads, and a large gauge regular plier.
- There is a nylon pouch that comes with the RoverTac that is too bulky to wear on the belt and made of weak materials.
RoverTac Multi tools, Pocket Tool Plier, 12-in-1 Multi Function plier, Pocket size, Survival Tool with Plier, Bottle Opener, Knife Blade, Screwdriver, Saw, Ideal for Outdoor, Survival, Camping
- Multitools Plier with 12 function including Needle Nose Plier, Knife Blade, Saw, Pipe Grip Plier, Cable Cutter, Phillips Screwdriver, Bottle/Can Opener, File and more
- Full Stainless steel made in oxidated black. Compact and Durable, a lifetime guarantee
- Locking Mechanism design guaranty a safe use experience. Each component will be locked when it’s fully opened to use
- Comes with a solid nylon pouch, easy to wear on belt loop. Convenient to carry and use
- A perfect and convenient tool for household, Survival, Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Hiking and other outdoor activities
After looking into everything that the Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier has to offer, as well as some alternatives, we feel that having a tool like this would boost your handyman image. Having a device that holds 12 tools in one set of pliers will keep you on your toes in any situation.
The Saf.T.Plus locking technology keeps you safe in the knowledge that none of these tools will pop out or be an issue to lock back into place. Unlike some that have been found to be unreliable in the marketplace.
Like we said earlier, some manufacturers focus a lot more on hooking you in with the size of a product instead of working in some much-needed features.
This lightweight multi-tool will go above and beyond your needs, and will work hard to keep you reliable to others for longer.