Life is unpredictable. I’m fine with that. However, I wish could sometimes foresee the strange ways of life which more often than not interfere with my darling morning routine. Drinking coffee. Truth be told, I can cope with a variable caffeine intake on a daily basis, but I absolutely cannot cope with a mug of stone cold morning brain juice. I get properly cranky when I’m forced to skip it at the break of dawn, but my condition gets exacerbated if I have to have it cold. That’s until the Ember temperature control mug came along and made me a better man.
Prerequisites To Buying The Ember Temperature Control Mug
I completely get it if you’re skeptical about the concept of a temperature controlling mug. I was too. A lot of products nowadays make heaps of promises which they very often fail to deliver. Therefore, a smidgeon of skepticism is fair to have.
If you’re like me and billion other people, you too prefer to have your coffee or tea hot/warm. Having them any other way subsides the satisfaction and the energy kick they provide us with. Because this is a product of grave importance to me, unlike bowties for men, I was ecstatic when I first tried out the Ember temperature control mug and found out that it actually works!
Now, I know that people who pay little to no attention to the warmth of their preferred beverages will find this product to be laughable. They’ll probably settle for a novelty water bottle and continue on with their caffeine-less lives. But not us! Us, who are dependent on the nurturing bitterness of the darkest of drinks have an inherent need to give the Ember temperature control mug a shot.
Still, no matter how appealing this mug may seem, in order to avoid making a rash decision, question yourself on the following topics:
- Am I really an avid coffee/tea drinker? If you’re not, don’t waste your money on the Ember temperature control mug. There’s no point in buying it unless you’ll use it regularly.
- How much do I travel? It’s not without a reason that this mug is called the “Travel Mug”. You get to enjoy its full potential only when you’re frequently on the go.
- What’s my budget? Unfortunately, the Ember temperature control mug isn’t exactly a budget mug. With a retail price of $150, it’s the antithesis of cheap.
Unlike choosing the best polarized sunglasses for men or cool umbrellas, temperature controlling mugs aren’t exactly omnipresent on the market. Not only are your options limited but there almost aren’t any at all. Granted, a few poor replicas can be found here and there, but they are far from being noteworthy.
Therefore, in a sense, the Ember temperature control mug is a prototype. Something that we haven’t seen before. It’s a solution to a very distressing issue that most adults are faced with. So, who’s this mug actually for?
The Ember temperature control mug is made for everyone who has a few spare bucks no the side and is interested in never sacrificing their coffee-drinking experience. Sure, it comes at an eye-twitching price, meaning that a lot of people will pass on it for that reason alone, but the benefits of it are truly rewarding.
- Beautiful minimalist design
- Leak-proof 360-degree lid
- Decent battery life but not great
- Fingerprint sensor lags a bit
- Way too expensive
Ember Temperature Control Travel Mug, Black
- Precise – Ember keeps your coffee or tea at the perfect temperature from the first sip to the last.
- Simple – Ember is simple and elegant. No buttons or complicated instructions. Just rotate the dial at the bottom of the mug to adjust your temperature.
- Customizable – Ember is a connected device that can be used on its own or through the app. The app allows you to remotely change your temperature, “name” your mug, create presets, and choose notification preferences.
- Push-to-open leak-proof 360˚ lid. 12 ounce capacity. Cleaning – hand wash body, dishwasher safe lid
- Battery lasts about 2 hours on full charge; includes Charging Coaster.We want you to be satisfied with your purchase. Please feel free to contact the manufacturer directly at [email protected] if there are any questions, comments, or concerns
Ember Temperature Control Travel Mug’s Tangibles
Let’s kick things off with the design of the Ember temperature control mug . I personally love it when the designers don’t go over the top with the aesthetics of a product. Keeping it simple is a very reliable recipe for achieving a great-looking final product. That’s exactly the recipe to which the guys from Ember have adhered to. The mug itself is a bit taller than your regular thermos mug but it isn’t unnecessarily tall. Regardless of that, it can hold only up to 12 fl ounces. It can easily fit into your car’s cup holder and it feels amazing to the touch. The Ember logo actually serves as a fingerprint-based button which activates the display located near the bottom of the mug, right above the temperature-controlling dial. With it, you also get a sleek-looking wireless charging dock.
The part I find incredibly pleasing is the Ember temperature control mug ’s lid. Somehow, they’ve managed to create a lid which is not only leak-proof but allows you to drink your beverage with a 360-degree benefit. Meaning that there isn’t a designated area from which it’s mandatory to drink in order to avoid spillage. How incredible is that?
Here’s the part most of you are really interested in. How does it work? Well, the Ember is probably the smartest mug ever. Here’s a picture that shows just what sits inside this masterpiece and allows it to perform its duty diligently.
From a user’s standpoint, the Ember temperature control mug is as easy to use as collar stays. You turn it on simply by pressing the Ember logo. After 2 seconds, the bottom display will greet you with a courteous “Hello”. The only thing left for you to do is rotate the bottom bezel which holds the battery and the Bluetooth radio, in order to set the preferred temperature of your drink. You can either reduce the temperature of a boiling hot tea or increase the temperature of a cold one. Provided temperature span is 120-146 Fahrenheit.
In addition to that, you can also download the iOS/Android app to your phone and use it to control the temperature of your drink as well. As soon as the mug does its job, the app will notify you that your drink is ready.
The app also allows you to create preferred temperature presets, name your mug, or even change between Celsius and Fahrenheit. Being able to customize your drinking experience really makes the whole user-experience a brilliant one.
When you’re a pioneer, you’re bound to get something wrong. As expected, Ember is no exception to that. Despite all of those mesmerizing things it can do, there are some downfalls which need to be addressed. First and foremost, the battery life. The promised 2 hours simply won’t cut it. Work days are much longer than that and constantly recharging the thing becomes a nuisance after a while. Then we have the lack of internal insulation which leads to an immediate temperature drop as soon as the battery gets drained. That’s no fun. Lastly, if your preferred drink is a Grande latte, I’m afraid you won’t be able to use the Ember temperature control mug. Guys, we have to have more than 12 fluid ounces at our disposal!
No Alternatives at All?
Well, there are some alternatives to the Ember temperature control mug . However, be aware that most of them won’t promise as much as it does. That being said, you also won’t have to say goodbye to a solid portion of your salary in order to get them. Let’s see what they are:
Tech Tools Heated Smart Travel Mug with Temperature Control
In case you’re on a very limited budget but in a desperate need of a temperature controlling mug, the Tech Tools Travel Mug might be the solution for you. I know, it doesn’t look very classy, nor does it feel that way, but it’ll get the job done for only $30. It comes with a 12-volt auto adapter which allows you to use the mug while driving. Atop of that, it can heat up your beverage to up to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Comes with an auto adapter
- 16 oz. capacity
- Poor build quality
- No battery
Tech Tools Heated Smart Travel Mug with Temperature Control 16 Ounce, 12V Adapter – Stainless Steel
- PLEASE NOTE: the mug is intended to keep your beverage warm at your desired temperature and to heat up lukewarm drinks but not to boil cold drinks, During transit the AC adapter is placed inside the mug to protect the item.
- PLUGS INTO YOUR CAR CHARGER Take this self heating travel mug along with you anywhere and use the 12 volt charger in your car to keep it warm to and from work, school and other locations.
- HELPFUL ANALOG INDICATOR With this travel mug, heat levels will be indicated on the nifty analog indicator.
- NON-SLIP RUBBER BASE Don’t worry about this heated coffee travel mug getting knocked over on the desk or in the car; it has a rubber base designed to keep it upright.
- 12V Auto adapter included / Recommended For Auto use only
YETI Rambler 30 oz Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler
Here’s another under $40 thermos mug option. The Yeti Rambler takes pride in being one tough travel mug. It truly is ideal for outdoor purposes. Not only does it have a decent capacity but it also keeps your drink warm for a long while because of its great internal insulation. The mug comes with a durable coat which prevents your hands from sweating and allows a perfect grip at all times.
- Great insulation
- 30 oz. capacity
- DuraCoat coating
- Easily scuffed
- The magnetic lid doesn’t exactly work
YETI Rambler 30 oz Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler w/MagSlider Lid, Black
- These Ramblers come standard with our YETI MagSlider Lid, the only drink lid that uses the power of magnets to keep your water, beer, or favorite drink on lock
- Our Ramblers are BPA-free, dishwasher safe, and have a No Sweat Design to make sure your hands stay dry
- DuraCoat is a durable coat of color that won’t fade, peel, or crack through extended field use and also provide additional grip to the Rambler’s exterior
- We over-engineered these double-wall insulated tumblers with an 18/8 stainless steel body, which means your drink still keeps its temperature no matter how much of a beating this cup takes
- The YETI 30 oz Rambler Tumbler stands 7 5/8 in high and has a lip diameter of 4 in. All YETI Tumblers are sized to fit in standard sized cup holders
Thermos Stainless King 16-Ounce Travel Tumbler
Lastly, we have to present the industry’s standard. It’s, of course, the Thermos 16-ounce Tumbler . It costs no more than $25 and provides everything a decent thermos mug should. It keeps cool drinks cool and hot drinks hot. Plain and simple. It’s sweat-proof, remains cold with boiling hot drinks in it, it does the whole lot. Most importantly, it fits most cup holders!
- Adequately priced
- Decent capacity
- Great insulation
- When you don’t promise the world, there’s very little that can go wrong
Thermos Stainless King 16-Ounce Travel Tumbler, Midnight Blue
- Thermos vacuum insulation technology for maximum temperature retention, hot or cold.
- Durable stainless steel interior and exterior
- Cool to the touch with hot liquids, sweat proof with cold
- Built in tea hook, easily holds tea bags or most loose leaf infusers
- Fits most automobile cup holders; Capacity 16 Ounce
When all is said and done, I think that the Ember temperature control mug is an applaudable feat. The idea behind it is great but it does come with a few drawbacks. With it, you definitely will never again have to stress over cold coffee, but you will stress about its frequently dying battery. If recharging it doesn’t bother you, there’s nothing to think about. Buy it now. If it does, let’s wait for the upgraded version of the Ember. It’ll soon come. I know it.
In the meantime, make sure to check the Ember temperature control mug out.