There is always that good feeling whenever all your stuff is within reach, actually in one bag whenever you are traveling. It gives you the sense of an untamed traveler. You feel free like a bird out of a cage; you can easily switch locations as well as respond to different weather challenges as they emerge. Hitting the road? When planning a backpacking adventure, the immediate question that rings to your mind is the backpack for travel of your choice. Well, there are a lot of backpacks for travel out there, some for hiking, others are sports backpacks, and some are dedicated to traveling purposes only.
If you are planning on traveling, it is better to look for something that is light and comfortable to carry. This will give you a better traveling, hiking or camping experience. In this guide, I will share with you what I believe are the best travel backpacks.
How do you land on that perfect travel backpack that attends to all your needs? To begin with, there isn’t the best travel backpack that is a perfect pick for any traveler in every situation. A traveler’s perfect backpack will differ with a range of factors and certain conditions. The backpack’s model, make, durability, weight and such factors are a great consideration to take for you to land on a backpack that you envision. Customer reviews, as well as opinions from travelers and other backpack owners, certainly will shape your idea of a travel backpack. How suited is your body structure and formation for a certain backpack? Why not another backpack?
So, you are new to traveling, a seasoned pro or you just thought of “well, I will sell everything, put it in a bag and hit the road” having a backpack that is dedicated to catering for all your needs and works for you is a must have before leaving.
What to look for in a travel backpack
There are several factors that ideally every traveler’s backpack should have. Let’s go through each of the traits.
Loading capacity: What thrills me (I assume the same goes for other travelers) is the freedom of movement whenever I am traveling. So, a travel backpack that can comfortably accommodates all your stuff more so if you are on the road of a week’s time or more, you seriously need to keep this in mind.
Number of compartments: A backpack that has dedicated compartments for specific items is a great travel companion. Most backpacks have the laptop compartment, that lies on your back and the compartment is usually padded with a cushion to ensure that your laptop or other gadgets will be safe. Some items like tickets, your passport or your phone will need a different pocket from your laptop, clothes or shoes. So, having a backpack that securely places all items in check is a must have.
Built fabric and material: The kind of fabric and material used make your backpack is a great factor to consider. So do you need a canvas bag, Rip-stop Nylon, Ballistic Nylon, Kodra Nylon, Polyester or Leather? These are just some of the common materials that come with a travel backpack. Each material has its advantages and disadvantages like water-resistance, the weight of the pack as well as durability and strength of the pack.
The number of straps: Bags have straps at different positions as well as in different numbers. Travel backpacks with numerous straps enable the weight to be evenly distributed. A two shoulder travel backpack is a recommendable choice that ensures the weight is evenly distributed to the shoulders. Some bags have the chest straps as well as the hip strap ensuring that the weight of your luggage does not result in sore shoulders. When the straps are, they add extra comfort during travel.
Why the travel backpack and not a suitcase?
Suitcases should be left for family holidays and that kind of stuff. The convenience that the backpack brings over the suitcase is unimaginable. To begin with, I hate dragging the suitcase along with me whenever I am in a busy town. How do I get to carry the suitcase when I am in the deep jungles of the Amazon?
Another factor to consider is the weight. With the travel backpack, I just carry it on my back and you even for most of the time fail to remember you have a bag with you. With the suitcase, how do you even lift that thing, will you place it on your head?
Benefits of using a travel backpack
- Easy to pack and store. The travel backpack design makes it easy to store in overhead bins in a coach, train or airplane. Many travel backpacks have compression straps that let you compress the packs’ contents to occupy less space.
- Comfort. Most travel backpacks are designed to evenly distribute the weight on your shoulders and hips, making them easier to carry for long hours without strain.
- Easy to move around. You don’t have to worry about dragging a rolling suitcase up a flight of stairs. It is easier to move through crowds of people compared to other types of luggage.
- Keeps the traveler organized. They are designed with several compartments to keep items like chargers, water bottles, and a cell phone among other things. The traveler can access all the basic items with ease. However, If you carry a camera and other equipment with you, consider taking a look at amazing Lowepro ProTactic 450 AW Camera Backpack.
- Protects items from elements. Many travel backpacks are made with water-resistant and waterproof fabrics that protect your items from extreme weather conditions.
Are travel backpacks the same as hiking backpacks?
Well, many people seem to not know the difference between a travel backpack and a hiking backpack. Are they the same thing? NO! Travel backpacks usually have zippers at the main compartment in order to access it and are mostly lockable while hiking backpacks don’t. Instead, they are fitted with draw sting chords positioned at the top of the backpack where you pull the chord to close the Herschel Supply backpack.
The harness in a hiking back is not covered as well as they are numerous in number. These extra straps are best fitted for mountain climbing or whatever form of hiking but not traveling. A travel backpack comes with a simple and lockable harness that you can easily put away once it has served its purpose. This ensures that the bag doesn’t entangle with dangerous objects that might cause harm especially in the town or city kind of setting. Some travel backpacks don’t have a laptop compartment, so you can take a look at Best Laptop Backpacks Of 2018.
Tortuga Travel Backpack
This is my favorite travel backpack because of space and comfort associated with it. I enjoy going on vacation several times a year. Therefore, having something I can carry up and down subway steps and on uneven streets is important. Tortuga Travel Backpack can offer this solution. Initially, the backpack used to be more like the hiking packs. You filled it from the top like a garbage bag. Unfortunately, all of your stuff would wrinkle, so you needed to unpack the whole bag anytime you needed to pick an item. The new Tortuga Travel Backpack has an impressive design and size.
Accessing the main compartment of this bag is now as easy as laying the bag flat and unzipping it. Its zipper runs through the bag’s length. I have always found this ideal as I can maximize on the limited space the way I wish to. In my last travel experience, I comfortably folded and packed all my items into the backpack without difficulties. Initially, I used to limit my items which gave me a hard time as I always lacked the space to pack enough. This limited my fun as I had to travel for lesser days than planned for.
With the Tortuga Travel Backpack , you can pack all your items in a manner for easier access. Separating your dirty laundry from the rest of your stuff is made easy by the dual zippered mesh pockets that lay in the main compartment of this bag.
The last time I traveled using a normal backpack was really pathetic. I could feel the whole load on my back. Rising up the following day was a big challenge due to back pains and shoulder sores. You can now save your shoulder sores with the Tortuga’s hip belt. The belt transfers up to 80%of your bag weight from your shoulders to your hips. This could ensure a comfortable carry.
My worst travel experience happened when my ordinary travel bag was robbed. Unfortunately, I lost my favorite Canon EOS 80D camera and a classy watch. The pain I went through made me look for a better travel backpack that is anti-theft. Thanks to the new Tortuga Travel Backpack , all the main compartments have locked zippers to deter pickpockets. You can, therefore, travel comfortably with your valuable items and have a great experience.
The Tortuga Travel Backpack can be a great product for airline travelers. You will not have to pay airline baggage fees again. This is because the backpack is a maximum-sized carry on backpack. It measures 22 ×14 × 9 inches and therefore very portable.
This travel backpack is well padded and constructed for comfort, maximum back support and keeps the back cooler. I consider this backpack as my favorite since it has large hip pockets. This could ensure quick access to vital documents like passports, keys, money, cards, and tickets among, many more. I recall one travel experience when I had to carry my passports and cards in the jacket but misplaced in the process of settling and unpacking. This problem, however, was well solved by the Tortuga Travel Backpack .
The travel backpack is water resistant though not fully waterproof. It is made with Dura flex buckles and YKK zippers, which are among the best in business. This could ensure your product is durable enough.
Tortuga Travel Backpack – 44L Maximum-Sized Carry On Travel Backpack
- BRING EVERYTHING YOU NEED WITHOUT CHECKING A BAG. The Tortuga is a maximum-sized carry on backpack measuring 22 x 14 x 9″.
- KEEP YOUR BAG ORGANIZED AND YOUR STUFF WITHIN REACH. The Tortuga is front-loading, like a suitcase. Neatly pack your clothes and find what you need in your bag.
- PREVENT DISCOMFORT AND INJURY. The padded hip belt transfers 80% of your bag’s weight from your shoulders to your hips for a more comfortable carry.
- NEVER GET ROBBED. All of the Tortuga’s main compartments have lockable zippers to deter pickpockets.
- PROTECT YOUR COMPUTER. The padded laptop sleeve fits up to 17″ computers, has a lockable zipper, and is easy to access at airport security.
That also can be one of the backpacks you will like, so take a look at Ibagbar Canvas Backpack Travel Bag Review
- Durable. It is made with 100% nylon hence
- Easily fits under seats
- Front pockets for quick access
- Lockable zippers for security
- Unattractive design
- Too big for some people
Osprey Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack
The Osprey Farpoint 40 is a great product for a weekend getaway in the city or probably into the wilderness. It is can, therefore, be a great choice for world travelers looking for a light and budget-friendly bag.
It is very comfortable to wear since it comes with a back panel that is padded ensuring ultimate comfort, maximum back support and keeping the back cooler. A terrible backache would make the traveling uncomfortable as it might reduce your interest and energy. The shoulder straps are well-padded while the hip belt transfers up to 80% of your bag weight from your shoulders to your hips. It could be very uncomfortable to carry a backpack that brings all the weight on one side.
Most shoppers buy backpacks with durability aspect in mind. They do not want a product that wears out easily leading to disappointments. Osprey makes among the world’s best bag brands and the Farpoint 40 is not left behind. The bag is typically made of a nylon blend that is really tough. On the back panel, it also has a tough mesh that comes in handy for ventilation. The material as well is very easy to clean even when it comes into contact with mud. This makes it a great backpack for traveling in remote locations.
The Osprey Farpoint is available in two sizes; small/medium and medium/large. It is therefore easy to pick your size. Our one-month staff visit to China was great due to the sizable bags we had picked. However, one of our staff members who is 4’6″ had a challenging time due to bad bag size choice. In short, the small/medium size is for a person under 5’6″, while medium/large is for a person above 5’6″ In case you are envisioning a bigger backpack; then the Osprey Farpoint 55 is a better choice.
A backpack with easier loading style could be great for travel. The Osprey Farpoint 40’s front-loading style allows for easier access when you need something urgently. It has a great space to pack your items in an organized manner without mixing the basic from the lesser important ones. The big space of up to 40 liters allows you to pack as many items as possible for a successful travel. You would feel bad to leave some of your favorite hiking shoes or jeans simply because the bag is too small to accommodate everything.
The Osprey Backpack has padded handles that are strategically located at the top while another one at the side. Handling is made easier; especially the side handles for traveling abroad. The padded handles come in handy especially when you have packed your backpack to the brim.
The security of your stuff in the main compartment is enhanced by the lockable dual zipper that is easy to access by yourself but hard for pickpockets to reach. The dual mesh front pockets are a great poach for your drinkables ensuring you are hydrated. Built-in laptop compartment could enable you to get connected to the world as you travel. You can watch your favorite movies or music at your camping site. Later on, you could just return your laptop to the compartment of the backpack.
All of these features combined could make the Farpoint 40 the ideal travel companion for your next vacation.
Osprey Packs Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack, Volcanic Grey, Medium/Large
- Large panel zip access to main compartment
- Lockable sliders on main compartment zipper
- Stowaway backpanel, harness and hipbelt with zippered rear flap for protection
- Laptop and tablet sleeve secure in lockable compartment
- Two internal compression straps hold contents securely
- Strong material
- Easy loading of luggage
- Large capacity ensures you put all your required stuff for long vacation.
- The amazing design with a number of pockets inside making arrangement easy.
- It is relatively expensive
- The waterproofing is not reliable for rainy weather conditions.
Osprey Porter 46 Backpack
The Osprey Porter 46 is an amazing alternative to Farpoint 40, which is only available in North America. Surprisingly, Osprey Company could repair any damage or defect for any reason at no charge (this is not limited to the year, and so whether it was bought in 1970 or yesterday). The company stands behind this guarantee; so much that it bears the signature of the founder and head designer.
The Osprey Porter 46 has great space for packing all your important items. You can take this to Europe for a 3-week backpacking trip. If you pack light and go during favorable weather conditions, it could offer great services. It is a maximum carry-on size for even the smallest airlines so you don’t need to be afraid. With this backpack, you can take two pairs of pants, three shorts, small jacket,6-7 pairs of socks and underwear, iPad, bathroom toiletries, two shirts, two polo, 4-5 t-shirts, random changes, belts, caps among many more. It could simply be your walking cabinet.
A good traveling experience involves proper planning. It might be disappointing to leave some of your important items because the backpack cannot accommodate them. However, this could be dependent on the organization of your stuff in the bag. The Straight Jacket compression straps and padded sidewalls could help protect your bag’s contents and allow you to fit more items. This also allows you to compress the bag to a smaller size when it is not filled to the maximum.
Nothing sucks like having to empty the whole bag in search of a single item. You could end up disarranging or even misplacing some of your valuable items like tickets. To help solve this problem, Osprey Porter 46 offers a top pocket organization. A zippered top pocket provides easy access to basic items like toiletries and liquids. This could save you time and ensure your stuff remain in order. There is also front panel vertical zippered pocket for books, travel documents among many more items.
The Osprey Porter 46 has an adjustable sternum strap on its hip belt and shoulder straps. The padded shoulder straps are meshed with material to avoid developing shoulder sores. The hip belt ensures the load is well distributed from the shoulders to the hips to avoid fatigue. The sternum strap in the front is for more support. You can as well hide the straps and the belt inside the bag then carry it as you would carry a briefcase.
Many travelers in the world would like to carry their laptops for entertainment, transacting business or even video conferencing. With the Osprey Porter 46 , this is made possible by laptop compartment at the back.
Three cushioned grab handles can be found at the top, side, and bottom of the pack. These are for easy carrying and grabbing.
The Osprey Packs Fairview 70 is a durable and strong backpack that resonates with travelers as a sturdy and ‘traveler’s only’ kind of backpack. It is customized for moderate rain resistance and a great companion for a traveller in areas that are slightly raining but not the intense kind of rain.
Osprey Packs Porter 46 Travel Backpack
- Straightjacket compression with padded wings and lower panel secures and protects clothing and gear
- Stowaway shoulder harness and hip belt with adjustable sternum strap and whistle buckle , 38mm webbing
- Protected rear panel lockable zip laptop/tablet sleeve for quick access at security or while traveling
- Front panel organization pocket for easy access to small travel items
- D-ring attachments for adding a shoulder strap (sold separately)
- Semi-rigid sidewalls help to pack the luggage with ease.
- Extra padded straps make it easier to carry when fully loaded.
- The ample space enables you to pack enough items for travel.
- It can be converted into a duffle bag hence carried in two ways.
- The double zippers help to lock up the pack for security.
- The backpack does not have a side water bottle pocket.
- The straps are much narrow and not very comfortable for carrying long hours.
eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible
The eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible won the best-of-field award in December 2009 for its unique design, durable quality, high-quality materials and its overall value. If you are looking for a backpack that is a carry-on size and has a lot of original features, then the eBags Mother Lode might be a great choice for you.
When I was young, the number of compartments inside a bag used to determine how good a bag was to me. The more the compartments, zips and pouches in a bag the better the bag would be for me. This idea and perception have been brought to life by eBags TLS Mother Lode. On the front, there are two zipped mini compartments for smaller items, one of which has a foldable container for a water bottle. There is also an integrated travel organizer with mesh compartments; a place to securely put your smartphone. The mesh pocket on the inside can be used to carry 3 sandals, 1 beach bag, 2 swimsuits, and a rain jacket.
When planning your weekend trips, the 49-liter backpack could make this a success. The eBags TLS Mother Lode has one main compartment, which has an optional divider wall that you might put up to split this large space into two halves. The main compartment gives you a fold-down shelf through the middle that gives you a bottom and a top storage area; each storage area has its own tie-down strap. This could allow you to pack all your weekend items in an organized manner. You can access all the items without necessarily having to empty the whole bag in search of a single item. The lockable zippers are crucial as they ensure your items are safe from theft.
The different pockets could allow for easy and accessible storage of documents, chargers and other personal items. There is still another pocket in the back, which could be used for a laptop. You could also use it for dirty laundry, which is barely noticeable when carrying.
When shopping for a travel backpack, the durability of the product cannot be assumed. The eBags TLS Mother Lode is made of tough polyester thread, which is made tougher by twisting. The thread thickness is 840-denier. You can, therefore, use this backpack for a long time without wearing out.
It would be uncomfortable to carry a backpack while the items keep on shifting. The eBags TLS Motherland Lode has four exterior compression straps. This could make sure that your content doesn’t shift, especially when you have the pack on your back. The bottle holder is off to the side and can zip out of sight when you do not need it. You could stay hydrated throughout your journey.
The eBags TLS Mother Lode is often referred to as convertible. This is because you can hide the backpack straps in special pockets at the back. During traveling as checked luggage, the straps can be put out the way to prevent tangling.
Carrying is made easy due to the availability of handles. You can use a top handle, side handle or bottom handle, for easy pull down from the overhead compartment bin.
A waist strap and a chest strap are included for weight distribution and great pack stability. This could reduce your chances of fatigue or back pains.
eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible Carry-On Travel Backpack – Fits 19″ Laptop – (Solid Black)
- KEY FEATURES: Full expansion zipper adds over 10% of packing space; Laptop Sling adjusts to cradle laptops sized up to 11.75″ x 19″; Convertible from backpack to suitcase
- TRAVEL BENEFITS: Lockable rings on zippers for security; High visibility 210D orange nylon lining; Water bottle pocket; Secure TLS ID pocket for luggage tag; 2 main compartments with many organizational compartments
- ORGANIZATION: Fold-down shelf for splitting main compartment in half; Zippered mesh panel inside main compartment; Snap-out, easily accessible zippered pocket that can be separated and keep on person; Front compartment features travel organizer
- BREATHABLE & COMFORTABLE: Padded air-mesh back panel; removable, adjustable sternum strap
- DIMENSIONS: Exterior Dimensions – 22″ X 14″ X 9″; Linear Inches – 45″; Main Compartment – 21.5″ H x 5.5″ D x 13″ to 14″ W; Front Compartment – 21.5″ H x 3 to 5″ D x 13″ to 14″ W; Laptop Compartment Dimensions – 19″ X 11.75″ X 1.5″
- Organizational features are great.
- The strong material makes the bag durable.
- Lightweight makes the bag comfortable to carry.
- There is no hip belt and the shoulder straps are a little thin.
- The back lacks a padded mesh for airflow and comfort.
This will be a challenge for people walking from time to time considering that the backpack lacks the hip-belt. However, if uber or taxis are your kind of travel or having a single destination for your weekend, the eBags Mother lode TLS Weekender Convertible might be a great consideration.
Osprey Farpoint 55 Travel Backpack
If you are looking for a long weekend backpack, Osprey Farpoint 55 can be a great choice. It is designed to handle loads of up to 50 pounds. Therefore with this backpack, you can feel free to add an extra sweater and a pair of waterproof boots. It is now clear to me why this backpack is very popular; it is well designed, nicely priced and suitable for both long and short trips.
The harness straps wrap fully around your shoulders with no gaps between the pack and your back. Apparently, the padded part of the harness straps should end 1 inch/2.5 centimeter to 2 inch/5 centimeters below the armpits. The Farpoint 55 evenly distributes weight along your back ensuring that you have a more balanced and a stable posture. With the chest and waist straps properly closed, you would barely notice its weight. The Farpoint 55 could replace the ordinary backpack that might be giving you shoulder sores often, which is not a problem with Farpoint 55 .
The Osprey Farpoint 55 can be said to be a two-in-one system. It is actually a 15-liter daypack and a 40-liter main backpack combined which you can use separately or else zip together. You may use them separately most of the times, either carrying the daypack by the handle or strap it to the chest. You might like the versatility of using the bags separately. You can keep the most important items near you in the daypack, while the main pack with clothes and shoes is kept in a luggage rack. In case you are carrying both of them and need to have both hands available, it takes you little time to clip the daypack to the main shoulder straps.
A large panel zip access to the main compartment provides accessibility to the major contents. Amazingly, when arriving at a hotel, you just put the bag down flat and zip it open all the way. This ensures that everything is accessed instantly. You might not have to unpack the whole stuff when looking for a specific item.
The sliders being lockable provide security to the main component. The detachable daypack provides you with a sense of security on your trip, enabling you to have your important documents by your side at any time, more so if you are staying in hostels with little security. The backpack is lightweight and you have nothing to worry about when it comes to the luggage at hand. The material of this pack is slightly water resistant and will keep your clothes from getting wet from the little rains on the streets.
The backpack can be conveniently adjusted and compressed depending on your body profile and luggage. The strategically located hip belt enables even distribution of weight to the hips and away from the shoulders making it easy to handle while walking. Ventilation is improved with a back panel made of mesh as well as the straps on the front ensure the stability of the backpack. The side also has a padded strap handle making it easy for you to hoist the backpack.
Osprey Packs Farpoint 55 Travel Backpack
- Stowaway backpanel, harness and hipbelt with zippered rear flap for protection
- Detachable daypack provides additional storage and organization ideal for daytrips or carry-on
- Durable fabrics in high-wear areas combine with smart design to create a lightweight and tough travel pack that will last a lifetime.
- Large panel zip access to main compartment
- Lockable sliders on main compartment zipper
- This makes it very durable.
- Large panel zip access eases loading of items.
- The great design comes with several internal pockets for organizing things.
- Adjustable stowaway hip straps make it comfortable to carry.
- The pack has great suspension system and is lightweight for easy carry.
- The backpack fetches a rather high price.
- Not adequate waterproofing technology for harsh rainy weather.
Deuter Transit 50L Backpack
The Deuter Transit is one of the finest travel backpack sold by the German manufacturer, Deuter. It is similar to Farpoint 55 in many ways but does not have a laptop compartment. It easily holds any travel gear and can be a great choice for you as an active traveler; mountain and city adventures. It is sleek, large, breathable and comfortable to carry to trips to Europe, South America and Africa. The Deuter backpack has the most of the necessary features that you might be looking for in a travel backpack.
At a 50-liter load capacity, this backpack comes as a mid-size and decent backpack for your traveling needs. It measures 25 ×13 × 10 inches ensuring maximum item capacity when well arranged. It is easier to carry as it is a lightweight backpack weighing 5 pounds only. The Deuter Transit material is 95% Polyester and an additional 5% Nylon in its composition. This makes the fabric very resistant and durable, even when handling baggage. Its Iconic grey/green color combination is the only variant in terms of color that this backpack comes with and this might be a small price to pay if you are looking at the greater good.
You can have a great travel experience with all your important items packed into the bag. Instead of the traditional top opening, the compartments open straight the way a suitcase does from the side. This unique feature of Transit 50 eases the packing and unpacking of your items. When you urgently need an item from inside the backpack, then you do not need to remove your entire backpack’s content so that you spot it. The backpack works well more so if you are good with using packing cubes.
With Deuter Transit 50 Liter , you do not have to carry everything. On day trips, carrying the whole 50L pack is not important. Instead, you can just take the daypack exploring with you which is 12L in size. You could, therefore, store your most necessary items like cameras, wallets, tickets, travel magazines, and any other travel item you need into this lightweight pack. This reduces bulkiness and makes your travel experience enjoyable.
It is embarrassing and also very uncomfortable to travel a new place with a back full of sweat. The Deuter backpack has foam back that is cushioned with comfort. In addition, the back-padding is made to be very breathable.
The Deuter backpack has stowaway shoulder straps. It comes in handy when you are carrying the bag with the single shoulder strap, for instance, the way the duffle bag is carried.
The bag has grab handles that will assist you with picking the bag when it is heavy; one on the top while another one is placed at the side.
The bottom compartment is zippered making the backpack standout. You can keep your dirty or wet shoes/clothes in this compartment while the rest of your clean and dry ones stay in the spacious main compartment.
The side compression straps are necessary for you to compress your belongings when the backpack is full. This could also ensure your stuff is stable when in transit. The shoulder straps are adjustable, allowing you to feel more comfortable. The packs’ weight is distributed from the shoulders to the hips, ensuring you don’t experience shoulder sores.
Deuter Transit 50 (Black/Anthracite)
- U-shaped zip opens up completely for full access to the main compartment
- Separate bottom compartment
- Material: Deuter-Super-Polytex
- Volume: 3050cuin / 50L
- Weight: 4lbs 14oz / 2200g
- It can support heavy loads due to its load-bearing aluminum frame.
- Breathable foam back panel provides comfort to the back
- Padded shoulder pads make the bag comfortable to carry
- It has sufficient pack volume
- Compartments and straps keep the materials organized.
- Seams on some of the pockets start to come undone.
If you want to carry heavy weight in a light way, you might consider buying the Deuter Transit 50. It is ideal for outdoor expeditions, but it is mainly tailored for the urban explorer. It is lightweight and can be carried like a duffle bag.
Gregory Compass 40 Travel Backpack
The Gregory Compass 40 is a great product from Gregory Company, which has hit the market with a bang. It could be your amazing weekend trip backpack or business travel. It has unique features that make it competitive in the market.
The Gregory Compass 40 Travel Backpack has padded backpack straps with a padded back panel. This could ensure a lot of comfort while hiking or traveling. The straps allow the bag to hang a bit low on your back, and the lack of a hip belt means that all your weight could be directly on your back and shoulders. However, if you pack fewer things, you might not have a have a heavy enough pack to care.
The backpack has a single main compartment with u-zip back panel access. You can easily load all your important stuff in a more organized manner for easier access. It also features small extra pockets where you can pack your towel, pants, vests, travel documents among many more ensuring that your luggage remains organized. The moment you open the bag, you can find any item at the least time possible. Inside, it features side mesh pockets along the main compartment, offering a place to put rolled up socks, pants or vests.
This is probably the reason it is being bought by businessmen on frequent travel. I experienced a horrible travel experience when I could hardly find my pair of socks. Unfortunately, I had used a simple travel bag and discovered later that I forgot to pack them due to little space. This is however not the case with Gregory Compass 40 backpack.The top and bottom handle ensure comfort when lifting the bag. You can easily carry it by hand if not bulky and walk from one point to another. The side compression straps could make the gear stable whenever you are on the move hence your load stays fixed.
The Gregory Compass 40 backpack features an external-access padded 15-inch laptop compartment with a tablet sleeve. Most backpacks have the laptop located next to your back. This is pure packing logic; you want the heaviest object close to you.
The zipper locks are a common feature of Gregory Compass 40 backpack , for added security. This prevents any third party from accessing your items, hence gives you more traveling confidence. The expanding bottom compartment gives room for packing your other pair of shoe. The internal expanding divider panel helps you keep dirty cloth, gym gear or bike shoes from contaminating your meeting attire.
Gregory Mountain Products Compass 40 Liter Daypack, True Black, One Size
- DEDICATED LAPTOP COMPARTMENT: External-access padded 15-inch laptop compartment with tablet sleeve.
- ORGANIZATION OPTIONS: Top accessory pocket with key clip and internal zippered mesh security pocket. Zippered mesh organizer pocket inside main compartment. Single main compartment with U-zip backpanel access. Separate expanding bottom compartment.
- GRAB HANDLES & PADDED SHOULDER STRAPS: Multiple grab handles for overhead or under seat convenience. Padded backpack straps with padded backpanel.
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL: Padded front panel. Side compression straps. Dual daisy chains. Reflective logo.
- IDEAL USES: Travel, Business Travel, Commuting. WEIGHT: 2.0lbs. DIMENSIONS: 23.25″ x 13.5″ x 9.75″
- It is a lightweight pack and therefore suitable to carry heavy loads for traveling.
- The pack has a big room to carry all your traveling stuff.
- The backpacks make it comfortable to carry.
- Backpack is water resistant in nature.
- Pack has good organization pockets to keep your items organized while traveling.
- The great nylon with burly polyester material makes the pack durable.
- Although the pack is water resistant, it, however, requires a rain cover to fully protect.
- The shoulder straps are not very comfortable to carry the pack for long hours.
Patagonia Refugio Backpack 28L
Many backpacks are built with much emphasis and style. Patagonia recently redesigned their line of casual daypacks, and their most tested model is the Refugio. The company describes it as a pack where “Zen design meets catch-all versatility”
The Refugio comes in one size for men (there is also a certain version for women) and has a large profile than expected for a 28-liter pack. It is rather tall and wide while being slightly lower profile compared to other casual packs, which makes for a comfortable carry.
The main compartment features a padded laptop sleeve that could fit up to a 15-inch laptop easily, and lined tablet pocket. The laptop sleeves close with a strap to keep everything in place. The next compartment has small pockets and drop-ins for phones, keys among others.
Apart from the large back panel size, the Patagonia Refugio’s shoulder straps could easily accommodate frames from small size to extra-large and prevent overheating. The height –adjustable sternum strap helps to bring comfort. The front pocket features a long vertical zipper and works great for stashing a rain shell or other items you might want to access quickly and easily. Two large water bottle sleeves could hold just about any water bottle, ensuring you stay hydrated.
The construction is of high-quality material makes the backpack durable. You can use it for a long time and still appear new. The highly breathable mesh on the back panel and shoulder could provide for all-day carrying comfort. The zippered pockets ensure your items are safe.
Basic compression straps are there to help secure the load. Once tightened, they ensure the load does not keep on shifting. The midsize classic backpack with two main compartments and one external stash could be great for managing your daily grind while traveling.
- Zippered pockets enhance safety and security of your gear.
- Laptop users find it easier to store their devices due to a padded sleeve.
- It offers sufficient comfort and support brought about by its back panel.
- The pack can be recommended for everyday use or hiking.
- Ability to handle a lot of items very well
- The bag might be smaller than expected.
Kelty Redwing 44 Backpack
Kelty company has tried to dominate the market by improving their products every now and then. The Kelty Redwing is one of my favorite travel backpacks, the big size is ideal for quick getaways whether on a trail or in the air. If you are planning your honeymoon, this backpack could be a better option to consider. It had special features which will make your travel a success.
The functionality of the Redwing 44 has not changed much from the previous models. The main compartment has a panel opening that almost unzips all the way, leaving the bottom three-quarter of it accessible by only shoving items down into the opening. Considering the level you unzip the main panel, the pack can work as both a top or panel loader. The redwing 44 has a number of pockets. These allow easy access gear and packing small items separately to avoid misplacement.
The main zipper pulls are now plastic loops. However, the zippers are not lockable, which means the pack is not very secure while traveling. Addition of elastic bands that come attached to each strap, allows the straps to be wrapped up and stowed neatly.
The mesh side pockets can handle very large water bottles so you don’t have to worry about thirst. Imagine hiking for 4 hours in the hot sun without water! The Kelty Redwing could be a solution to such challenges. A flat compartment on the back of the pack contains organizational pockets, where you could store documents, stationaries, passport, small electronic devices and your other personal items. A top pocket on the dome of the main compartment is great for storing quick access items like snacks, food, rain jackets among many more.
There is a front stash pocket, which is expandable between the main and organizational compartment. It is held by a sliding metal hook and can stretch to hold some items like a pillow. If not in use this extra pocket appears flat, and you might not spot it instantly. The padded waist belt takes the weight from the shoulders and distributes it evenly across the hips for comfort.
Some travelers enjoy carrying their laptops for different uses, and the Redwing does not fall short of this. It has a padded laptop sleeve, which is placed midway down the back side of the pack. However, when the pack is fully loaded, it may be somehow challenging to access the laptop.
The Kelty Redwing 44 has a capacity of 44 liters with dimensions of 25 ×15 ×12 inches, which is slightly larger than the airline standard size of 22 ×14 × 9 inches. The pack is lightweight, weighing about 2 pounds, which makes it the lightest in this category. The Kelty Redwing is made out of polyester fabric. Even though the polyester is not as durable as nylon, it can also last for long if well maintained.
The light beam single aluminum stay and Dynamic Airflow back panel keep your load stable and comfortable. This could also prevent sweating of your back.
The Kelty Redwing is available in three colors: black, ponderosa pine and twilight blue. It retails at $124.99 which makes it a great bargain.
Kelty Redwing 44 Backpack, Black
- Redwing is a tried & true trail value for all day hikes or a quick overnight, a true multipurpose pack from international travel to a day on the trail
- Features: Top Loading, Top Lid converts to Sling Pack, Zippered side pockets, front pocket w/ organization, Stretch front pouch, Hydration Compatible
- Suspension Features: HDPE frame sheet, Hex Mesh back panel, shoulder straps & waist belt, ventilating back panel, Sternum strap, Load lifter straps
- Dimensions: Size (L x W x D) 25 x 15 x 12 in, Weight 2 lbs 10 oz, Volume 44 L, Torso Size 14.5 – 18.5 in
- Pockets: 1 interior slip, 7 exterior , key fob and body fabric-poly 420D small back stafford.Reinforcement Fabric:Poly 75x150D Tasser Coal
- Comfortable to carry: The strap design and great padding.
- Great internal space: The backpack accommodates various items.
- Organization: Front pockets have many organizational dividers for small items.
- Durable. The Poly420D body fabric makes the bad tough for any day use.
- Lightweight. This facilitates loading more stuff and easier carrying.
- Quick accessibility: The pack can be opened like a clamshell for packing.
- The absence of lockable zipper.
- No rain cover.
- Panel loading does not open all the way.
- Larger than the standard carry-on size.
The Kelty Redwing continues to improve as time progresses. Some few traveling features are missing but comfort, quality, and great pricing make it an amazing travel partner.
eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible Junior
This backpack is related to the eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible , but the difference is just in length. The eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible is smaller by two and a half inches. It is a little heavy for a smaller backpack (smaller by 2.5 inches) as compared to its counterpart which is bigger size, has many bells and whistles that add weight. If you have a limited budget and don’t need the maximum carry-on, this could be a great choice.
The eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible has one main compartment, which has an optional divider wall that you might put up to split this large space into two halves. The main compartment gives you a fold-down shelf through the middle that gives you a bottom and a top storage area; each storage area has its own tie-down strap. This allows you to pack all your weekend items in an organized manner. You can access all the items without necessarily having to empty the whole bag in search of a single item. The front zippered pocket is ideal for storing chargers, ear-buds among other smaller items. The lockable zippers keep your gear safe from theft.
The different pockets allow easy and accessible storage of documents, chargers and other personal items. The TLS Convertible Junior has a huge laptop compartment that conveniently fits your laptop and iPad Pro in a Slimbook keyboard case at the same time
The eBags TLS Mother Lode is made of tough polyester thread, which is made tougher by twisting. The thread thickness is 840-denier. You can, therefore, use this backpack for a long time without wearing out.
The eBags TLS Motherland Lode Junior has four exterior compression straps. This ensures your content doesn’t sway, especially when you have the pack on your back. On the sides there is the water bottle holder that is zipped that you can easily access whenever you need it ensuring you are hydrated during the journey.
The design of the bag is amazing. It has backpack straps that tuck away and zip up into the back section. The shoulder straps distribute the weight from the shoulders to the hips, making carrying more comfortable.
Adjusting the shape and size of your backpack is facilitated by the restraining straps as well as the release zipper. Tightening the straps while maintaining the zippers up forges a shallow shape and is ideal when the backpack has a lot of gear. This makes it very comfortable to wear and carry during your travel.
eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Junior 19″ Carry-On Travel Backpack – Fits Up to 17.5″ Laptop – (Solid Black)
- MODERN DESIGN AND MULTIPLE COMPARTMENTS MAKE ORGANIZATION A SNAP: Thoughtfully designed with countless compartments and details, keep your travel documents, laptop, tablet, and other accessories within reach. Lockable zippers provide extra security.
- LIGHT, COMPACT AND FITS UNDER YOUR SEAT: The backpack’s luggage compartment provides ample storage space and includes multiple clips, dividers and mesh panels for optimal organization and packability.
- eBags LIFETIME WARRANTY: We stand behind eBags Brand Products with a Lifetime Warranty* against defects in materials and workmanship. Find out more on limitations on our site.
- CONVERTIBLE BACKPACKS ARE IDEAL FOR EVERY TRIP: Wear as a backpack for hands-free travel, tuck backpack straps away and carry brief-case style or throw the bag over one shoulder with a convenient duffel strap.
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: Laptop Compartment Dimensions: 18″ x 11.75″ x 1.5″; Size: Medium; Exterior Dimensions: 19.5″ x 14″ x 9″; Linear Inches: 42.5″; Weight: 3 lbs, 5 oz; Capacity: 2538 cu. in.; Material: 840D & 900D Twisted Poly; SKU: EB2146-19
- Organizational features are great.
- The strong material makes the bag durable.
- Lightweight makes the bag comfortable to carry.
- Locked zippers secure your gear.
- There is no hip belt and the shoulder straps are a little thin.
- The back lacks a padded mesh for airflow and comfort.
A backpack that stands out for all your basic traveling adventures and escapades doesn’t appear out of the blues. You have to put your heart and soul to it. Well, depending on the nature of your trip, a backpack should be the first tick on your checklist. With the varying traits, weights and advantages, let’s not forget the great names the backpacks come with, you have to decide on a pick. Whichever bag you go for, each one in this list of best travel backpacks comes with a great warranty and a high-quality build. It could be unfortunate to buy a backpack that does not suit your travel needs.
Well, the bags come in as amazing though the The Osprey Farpoint 40 is my definite pick any day any time. It is a universal carry backpack that you can easily switch places according to convenience. It is a lightweight backpack with well-padded straps and back panel that absorb the weight of your shoulders soothing you from a sore shoulder. A bag that I easily forget I have a load on me tells you why.
Its space is very ideal for any traveler. The 40 liter capacity that has numerous compartments and pockets for easy access and great organization of my load is a plus. Its strong and durable material is the icing on the cake!