“Summertime and the livin’ is easy…” There’s no better way to kick off this article than by quoting the late great Ella Fitzgerald. However, I’ll twist the context of her words and give them a more literal meaning. Throughout the year, we all crave for the summertime. It’s a time of complete relaxation, hot seasides, cold refreshing drinks, and some nudity here and there. Fashion-wise, it’s a time when guys get to show off their best sunglasses for men!
I feel comfortable in saying that sunglasses are the most important accessory every man could own. It’s a fact that men’s sunglasses add an extra layer of “cool” to their wearers as well as serve a very important protective purpose. When you take everything into consideration, it’s safe to say that we’re dealing with an accessory of high practical and stylistic relevance!
Since sunglasses are so damn important, it goes without saying that picking the right pair for yourself isn’t the easiest of tasks. That’s why I’ve compiled all the necessary information a guy could ever need on his pursuit for some hot and sleek-looking shades. Let’s see what needs to be taken into consideration during your sunglass purchase before we move on to my top ten picks of best sunglasses for men!
Just a Few Tips
A Practical Tip
Me personally, I don’t have the slightest issue with someone who’s wearing sunglasses throughout the whole year. Heck, I’d even say they’re a pretty cool cat. Times are changing and so do the fashion trends. The only advice I like to give to people is to try and make a small collection of sunglasses of their own. However, that collection should include a couple of high-end sunglasses which really bring out that classy guy within us as well as a couple of low-end ones which will act as workhorse sunglasses. You know, the ones whose safety you won’t be too worried about. Jesus, I’ve had so many miserable experiences where I’ve completely destroyed my Ray Ban’s because I was adamant about owning only one pair of sunglasses I’d treat as good as my baby. Wrong call, guys. Wrong call…
Beauty or Duty
Well, here’s the million dollar question. What’s more important, the looks or functionality? Unfortunately, if you’re on a limited budget, you might as well have to choose between the two. To that, my friends, I say go for the functionality. Call me old-fashioned but if you go for the looks in a cheap pair of sunglasses, your vision will be distorted (mostly the colors) and you’ll have no real protection from the menacing sun. However, if you do have some hard-earned dollars to spend, your decision-making process will be significantly easier. The very best sunglasses for men provide the best from both worlds. For example, some of the best polarized sunglasses for men nowadays also take pride in their looks. Honestly, there’s nothing to sacrifice. Just check out some of the William Painter sunglasses. They’re incredible.
Best Sunglasses for Men and Your Head Shape
Of course, it all boils down to how well a pair of sunglasses fit your head shape. I’ll be the first one to say that this really is an arbitrary thing. I always say that the confidence with which someone sports a pair of sunglasses beats the way they “objectively” complement the face. However, there are some rules to follow which can help you avoid those “what a weirdo” look on the street.
First, let’s address the size of the head. A general rule is that your head size should tell you how large of a frame you should be seeking for. For example, the Ray Ban New Wayfarer, even though they are a tad smaller than the original model, don’t work that great on small heads. Mostly because they’re a sizeable pair of sunglasses and they just tend to pop out more than you’d want them to.
Then we have the sharp vs rounded dilemma. If you have a rounded head, wrap-style sunglasses would work much better for you than some angular models. They are built in such a way that allows them to blend into your roundedness, allowing you to look incredible. Also, if you face is more sharp and squared, try to avoid topping it with additional layers of sharpness. It most probably won’t work.
Top 10 Best Sunglasses for Men
Based on their popularity, looks, and functionality, here are my top ten picks for the best sunglasses for men. Some will work for you, others won’t. Don’t hold me accountable for that. That’s just the nature of the beast. What I can assure you off is that all of these perform their roles diligently!
No more chit-chatting. Let’s see what the market has to offer.
J+S Premium Military Style Classic Aviator Sunglasses
Let’s kick things off with a lower-end piece which could become your go-to workhorse pair of sunglasses. You see, just because a pair of sunglasses retails for around $20, that doesn’t mean they’ll look or act like crap. J+S Aviators prove just that.
As you’re able to see, these draw heavily on the Ray Ban’s famous Aviator model. One of the best selling pair of sunglasses of all time! I’ll tell you that these teardrop-shaped sunglasses work best for people with pointier chins. Hey, don’t blame me, blame lieutenant Pete “Maverick” Mitchell for that. He made them famous!
What do you need to know about these sunglasses? They are polarized and block over 99% of glare, they are 400UV rated, have scratch-resistant lenses, ultra-light metallic alloy frame, they have it all. Yes, they are very cheap! That’s why I said that they could become your workhorse pair of sunglasses. They’re that good!
- Love the price of under $20
- Polarized with a 400UV rating
- Adjustable silicone pads
- Dark frames make them unsuitable for lower-light ambiances
J+S Premium Military Style Classic Aviator Sunglasses, Polarized, 100% UV Protection (Large Frame – Silver Frame/Black Lens)
- POLARIZED LENS – specialized multi layer lens designed to filter and block over 99.96% of glare – J+S Polarized lenses blocks out intense horizontal reflections (glare) by having vertically oriented filter layer embedded in the lens, providing maximum comfort and improved visibility. These lens are are tough, lightweight, scratch resistant, and have high optical clarity (distortion free, clear vision), making them an excellent choice for general outdoor and water sports activities.
- UV 400 PROTECTION – J+S Vision lenses are 400UV rated, meaning it can block 99%-100% of both UVA and UVB radiation. UV400 rated sunglasses are essential to protecting your eyes against long- term UV damage and keeping your eyes healthy when out and about.
- HIGH QUALITY FRAME – made with metallic alloy that is ultra light weight yet strong and durable. It comes with spring loaded hinged legs and adjustable silicon nose pads which allows for maximum comfort and flexibility.
- PERFECT ALL ROUNDER – being Polarized and 400UV protection makes these sunglasses the perfect choice for outdoor sports and activities such as driving, fishing, skiing, travelling, hiking, boating, and is suitable as high fashion accessory and daily wear all year round. It is also gift packaged ready, making it a wonderful yet practical gift idea for friends and family!
- 100% RISK FREE PURCHASE – All J+S Sunglasses comes with a 1 year warranty on frames and lens as well as a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee when purchased from authorized dealers. So if you are not completely happy with your purchase for whatever reason, let us know and we’ll take care of you.
Ray-Ban RB2132 New Wayfarer Sunglasses
Was there ever a more culture-bending pair of sunglasses then the Wayfarers? I’d say no way, Jose. Just look at how many important men have worn these over the years. From Dylan to J.F.K. If you’ve got the cash to get a pair of Wayfarers, I assure you, you won’t regret it!
Of course, these sunglasses are the New Wayfarers . They have a tad smaller frame and little less tilt. If you’re familiar with the world of best sunglasses for men, you know that the Wayfarers are notorious for their tilt. The main problem with that is that the sun can easily hit your eyes from the top. However, that’s a small price to pay when you get to be the coolest cat in the neighborhood!
Even though the lenses on these sunglasses have UV protective coating, they’re not polarized. My suggestion would be to settle for these if you have a larger head that is more square than rounded. Nonetheless, I’d never critique someone for wearing a pair of Wayfarers. They’re a monumental pair of sunglasses with incredible historical and cultural significance.
- Well, they are Wayfarers, that’s a pro
- UV protective coating
- Coolest sunglasses ever
- Still, have a pronounced tilt
Ray-Ban New Wayfarer Classic, Gunmetal/Green Classic
- UNISEX NON-POLARIZED SUNGLASSES: The Ray-Ban New Wayfarer sunglasses feature the legendary Ray-Ban crystal lenses. Made from high-quality glass, Ray-Ban lenses are prescription ready.
- 100% UV PROTECTION: To protect your eyes from harmful UV rays, these non-polarized sunglasses include glass lenses that are coated with 100% UV protection.
- REDUCE EYE STRAIN: New Wayfarer sunglasses feature precision-cut, scratch-resistant glass lenses that improve visual clarity, and help reduce eye strain while outdoors.
- DURABLE NYLON FRAMES: Our New Wayfarer sunglasses are incredibly durable. The frame is made from lightweight yet strong nylon construction. The bridge measures 18 mm, and the arms are 145 mm for an easy, comfortable fit.
- MULTIPLE FRAME AND LENS COLORS: Choose from multiple frame colors-including black and tortoise-and multiple lens colors and treatments-including non-polarized gradient lenses.
Oakley Holbrook Sunglasses
Moving on to the Oakley Holbrook sunglasses. If they look familiar to you, the answer could be “The Terminator.” Yes, the Schwarzenegger Terminator. The sunglasses he wore in the movie were a pair of Oakleys. Granted, they weren’t the Holbrooks, but the Holbrooks were definitely made to resemble them.
Some men want to look fancy and classy with their collar stays and men’s neckties, while others want to become eye-glaring half-robots. To my robotic brothers I say, let’s go for the Oakleys! All jokes aside, if you’re into sporty accessories, these will definitely work for you. Heck, they were designed by the master snowboarder Shaun White. The best thing about them is that they’re packed with features.
First and foremost, their PLUTONITE lenses provide 100% UV protection. Then, they have a Three-Point-Fit frame which provides an unparalleled level of comfort and holds the lenses in precise optical alignment. Atop of that, they come with six base lens curvature, Z87.1 impact resistance, and a lot more.
- Packed with features
- Great for sports
- Very comfortable and durable
- Not the most versatile style-wise
- A bit too light
Oakley Holbrook Sunglasses, Grey Smoke Frame/Black Iridium Lens, One Size
- Lenses are prescription ready (Rx-able)
Oakley Men’s OO9188 Flak 2.0 XL Sunglasses
Here’s another pair of Oakley Sunglasses . Look, when we’re talking about the best sunglasses for men, Oakley has to be included at least a couple of time on that list, right?
As far as sports accessories go, Oakley has to be your number one contender when it comes to sunglasses. They have a rich history packed with numerous awards related to their ingenuity and technological advancements.
This particular model, the Flak 2.0 is widely regarded as one of their best ones. Not only are these sunglasses remarkably light and comfortable to wear, but they are also fiercely tough and durable. The lenses come with 100% UV protection coating and I must admit, they’re one of the best lenses I’ve come across in a very long while. The vision is beautifully crisp and clear.
Even though you won’t be pairing these with some of the best men’s hats, they’ll certainly make a great companion for your outdoor adventures. That much I can promise.
- Super light
- Splendid lenses which provide very clear vision
- So comfortable…
- Again, the only flaw is that they’re fashion unfriendly
Ray-Ban Classic Clubmaster
I can’t hide it guys. The Clubmaster sunglasses are my favorite ones. They look so damn cool… The thing I love the most about them is that they’re incredibly versatile. I used to wear them both with a full-on suit as well as a pair of shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. Never was I ever given the “weirdo” look. They simply work with everything.
What most people don’t know about the Clubmasters is that they date back to the late ‘50s. Of course, they weren’t called the Clubmaster sunglasses back then. But a pair of sunglasses which highlight the brow line were seriously in! However, they were made famous only after Bruce Willis had to sport them in the TV show “Moonlighting.” He was a real badass back then. He wore the Shuron Ronsirs.
When it comes to the question of who should wear these, like with the Wayfarers, the question is EVERYBODY! It really is true. The Clubmasters work well with both oval and rectangle faces. If you don’t trust me, try them out yourself.
- Very versatile
- Pronounces the browline greatly
- Works with all face shapes
Maui Jim Breakwall H422 Polarized Sunglasses
Moving on to something completely different. Here’s a pair of what I like to call “crossover” sunglasses. I say crossover because they work incredibly well both as a pair of sports sunglasses as well as casual ones.
These Maui Jim Breakwall sunglasses are genuinely regarded as one of the best sunglasses for men today. The technology behind them is simply amazing, as is the comfort and functionality they provide. For example, the lenses are polycarbonate ones. Atop the scratch-resistant glass, this proprietary coating allows the lenses to have a prolonged scratch-free life.
The High-grade nylon frame on these sunglasses is a true game-changer. Honestly, they are so comfortable, you easily forget that you even have them on. I think that’s the ultimate compliment a sunglass manufacturer can ever get.
Above all else, they look and feel so luxurious. You could even wear them with men’s scarves.
- Beautiful light frame
- Extremely comfortable to wear
- Very versatile
- Given that the frame is very thin, you’re ought to be careful with it
Maui Jim Breakwall H422-26 | Polarized Rootbeer Rimless Frame Sunglasses, HCL Bronze Lenses, with Patented PolarizedPlus2 Lens Technology
- Metal Frames,Polycarbonate,Titanium
- All Maui Jim sunglasses feature PolarizedPlus2 lens technology that goes beyond shielding your eyes from glare and harmful UV rays by enhancing colors to reveal the true beauty of the world around you
- Enjoy ultimate UV protection combined with premuim style, incredible durability, glare-free vision, and color-boosting patented technologies
- HCL Bronze lenses feature a warm tint that provides versatility in changing light conditions
Ray-Ban RB3379 Double Bridge Wrap Sunglasses
Here’s another Ray Ban model for you. Let’s face it, you knew that Ray Ban would overflow this list. It’s not my fault they make the best sunglasses for men, is it?
I’ve mentioned the wrap style sunglasses in the beginning. I have to admit that they aren’t the most versatile ones out of the lot. You see, you really have to have a very specific head shape to be able to wear these with pride. Above all, your head has to be rounded in order for these sunglasses to merge with it. That’s the whole point of wrap style sunglasses. The merging part.
These particular double-bridged sunglasses come with polarized and 100% UV protection coated lenses. Meaning that they are functional apart from being good-looking. However, you’ll have to break around $200 for these. Are they worth it? That’s up to you to decide. They are very specific.
- Adjustable rubber nose pads
- Kind of cool-looking
- Not very versatile
- Too expensive
- Demand a very specific head shape to be worn proudly
RAY-BAN RB3379 Rectangular Sunglasses, Gunmetal/Polarized Green, 64 mm
- Case included
- This is a rectangular shape frame with a wrapped fit for full coverage. Notepads and temples are engraved with the Ray-ban logo. Reduces eye strain
- This is a rectangular shape frame with a wrapped fit for full coverage. Notepads and temples are engraved with the Ray-ban logo.
Ray-Ban ROUND METAL – ARISTA Frame
Guys, I had to include a pair of bookworm-ish sunglasses. Even though men tend to avoid using this adjective, but these sunglasses are cute. There I said it!
I guess that your immediate reaction would be that these heavily resemble the Lennon’s model. They do, but they have much bigger lenses which are not completely rounded like the ones John Lennon used to wear. The most notable feature on these ones is their colored lenses. These ones have them green but there are more colors to choose from.
They do come with 100% UV protection coating but they aren’t polarized. As expected. If you have a smaller rounded head and you’d like to release your inner Jean-Paul Sartre, I won’t stop you in doing so. I can only advise you to settle for these particular sunglasses. You’ll thank me later.
- Colored lenses
- Resemble the Lennon’s
- Again, very specific
- Very fragile frame
RAY-BAN RB3447 Round Metal Sunglasses, Gold/Green, 50 mm
- CLASSIC ROUND SUNGLASSES: Ray-Ban Metal Round sunglasses are both luxurious and functional. Made with a durable metal frame, these round sunglasses are comfortable and protective. Made from high-quality glass, Ray-Ban lenses are prescription ready.
- 100% UV PROTECTION: Ray-Ban legendary crystal glass lenses produce a high level of clarity, comfort, and protection. With greater contrast in low light conditions, Ray-Ban lenses give you the power to see more clearly.
- MULTIPLE FRAME AND LENS COLORS: These Ray-Ban sunglasses for both men and women are designed in multiple frame colors-including black and tortoise-and lens colors and treatments including polarized, gradient and mirrored.
- MULTIPLE SIZE OPTIONS: Choose from a variety of size options including 47mm, 50mm & 53mm.
- CASE & LENS CLOTH INCLUDED: Each pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses come with a case and lens cloth to clean and protect them from scratches and damage.
Versace Men’s VE2150Q Sunglasses
Khm. I have to stop you right there. No judgments. No discrimination. If you think about it for a second, this is exactly what the likes of Versace should be doing. Providing accessories for the eccentrics among us.
There’ll come a time in your life when you’ll want to go over the top with your style. You’ll want the world to notice you. When that time comes, I bet you’ll come back to this article and say that I was right. Maybe it does make sense to own a pair of Versace Aviators!
Granted, these will set you back for at least $200 but it’ll be worth it. They aren’t polarized, they come with a metal frame, and have polycarbonate lenses. Nothing too fancy when it comes to features. However, when you hit the streets with a pair of Versace shades, who’ll be brave enough to stand in your way?
- Great for showing off
- Solid comfortable frame
- Only for the brave ones
- Too eccentric for day-to-day carry
Persol Mens Sunglasses
Lastly, we come to these Persol Sunglasses . Among all the previous ones, these provide the best from both worlds. They provide an exquisite amount of protection due to their polarized and UV protective lenses as well as stunning looks with their tortoise finish and beautiful rectangular frame.
If I had a rounded face, these wouldn’t be my top pick for sure. That I have to make clear from the get-go. Again, that’s just the nature of the best. Not all sunglasses can be as versatile as the Clubmasters per se.
Sure, these have a bit of a steep price of over $150 but I truly recommend them. If you end up loving the way they fit you, you most certainly won’t be disappointed by the way they’ll perform.
- Super comfortable
- Provide awesome protection without compromising vision
- Look awesome
- Not that versatile
- The frame is a bit too tight
Persol PO2747S Sunglasses-955/4N Havana/Blue (Photopolar Blue Lens)-57mm
- MODEL: PO2747S Classics
- COLOR: 955/4N Havana/Blue (Photopolar Blue Lens)
- SIZE: 57mm – 16mm – 140mm (millimeters)
- ATTRIBUTES: Crystal (Glass) Lenses, Plastic Frame, Rectangular Shape, Full Rim, Photochromic Polarized Sunglasses
- GENDER: Mens
What to Declare?
Guys, all ten of these truly are some of the best sunglasses for men. There’s no doubt in my mind in regards to that. Some of them would fit you better than others but it’s up to you to decide which one you want to sport for years to come.
Me personally, I’d try to bet safe and settle for a pair of Clubmasters. No matter my attire, I know they’ll fit and provide me with comfort. In the end, it all boils down to the essentials. Versatility, comfort, and looks. I say that the Clubmasters have all these categories covered. You may or may not agree.
Here’s a link on which you can check out the Clubmasters. Classics can never go out of style. That’s a given.