With an influx of ‘top of the line’ and ‘high-end’ wearables saturating the market today, it is becoming harder and harder to find the best smartwatches available to you. There are just too many to choose from.
Of course, there are many different kinds of smartwatches that work for many different styles and needs of the user. Here, we would like to go into detail about as many as we can. Highlighting the best smartwatches available, for their intended users.
What Goes into a Smart Watch
Are you looking into wearable tech to help create a well-rounded workout?
To aid you in your business endeavors?
Are you looking for top branded wearable technology or are you looking for something low-tech, like Seiko solar powered watches?
Before looking into the world of smartwatches, it’s always good knowing what you are looking at. When shopping it’s great to be aware of all certain features specific watches can offer you as the wearer.
As you can see there is a lot to research when considering purchasing a smartwatch. That is why we are going to tackle some of the big and small questions found on the topic.
How to Choose a Smartwatch
Since the turn of the 20th century, technology has catapulted us forwards in many fields. Our timepieces have moved way beyond the pocket watches for men and women of old and are now wi-fi enabled, streaming on the go, devices that stylistically go with what we are wearing at any given moment.
Though smartwatches have not been around for long, they have definitely made an impact. There is a lot to consider when looking into buying a smartwatch, making sure it is right for you.
Buttons vs. touch
You will need to decide how best you would like to gain access to your smartwatches LED screen. Thankfully, they can be operated by only two means; buttons where the crown would be or via a touchscreen.
It is rare that a smartwatch with an analog control system has more than three buttons to work with, to keep a basis of simplicity.
This feature has more to do with personal preference because it will not change the functionality of the piece all that much.
Smartwatches today mostly come with AMOLED displays or with the more popular LCD screens. These displays make for a seamless and beautiful interface but have the same weakness. Power efficiency.
Continually keeping your smartwatch in use, much like its older brother the smartphone, drains your battery faster thanks to all the power that goes into keeping your screen colorful. To combat this, make sure that you purchase a wearable with extended battery life. And let it sleep when you are sleeping.
Operating System Compatibility
It is well worth noting that the Smartwatch design works in tandem with your Smartphone. So you will need a wearable device that can become compatible with your phone, otherwise, you have wasted a decent amount of money.
Most Smartwatch OS have apps that you can download from the Apple Store or from Google Play, which helps you bring the two devices together. But if you have an Android, get yourself a smartwatch that runs on Android. If you have an iPhone, opt for the highly successful Apple Watch. Simple.
Different Ways to use a Smartwatch
This technology is there to help the wearer along with the day to day running of life. It is a fantastic tool for helping you organize your day. From providing you with Quicktime notifications of texts and emails, managing the dates in your calendar, to pushing you closer to hitting that extra mile in your run, and keeping count of your daily calories.
The smartwatch leans towards someone who needs to take a more controlled stance in their organizational skills or to someone who wants a more quantitative record of their workout routine. Or if they just want a more technologically advanced timepiece. The smartwatch does it all.
Some of the Best Smartwatches on the Market
Here, we are going to go into detail on a list we have curated for you. These are some of the most impressive smartwatches available today. And we feel that you can learn a lot from knowing a little more about what makes them tick.
Fitbit Ionic Smartwatch
One of the leading names in wearables for producing the best sport watches known to man. The common misconception when it comes to the FitBit range is that it is a one-trick pony. Only producing smaller wearable tech like pedometers that track your daily step count and how many calories you have burned.
- The Ionic comes with Fitbit sports influenced IOS interface. Delivering your own personal workouts and coaching straight from your wrist. This coupled with SmartTrack technology, keeps everything focused on you and your well being.
- As well as performing as one of the best sports watches around the Ionic functions as a day to day smartwatch easily. Prompt delivery of notifications, providing you access to a whole host of apps. It even offers you the ability to store and play over 300 songs.
- The Ionic’s battery life boasts at lasting 4+ days. The makers of FitBit believe that your watch battery should last throughout the day.
- This smartwatch does not have the facilities available to send out text messages or emails. Which is jarring, because you can receive them.
- Sits heavy on the wrist. The watch casing is a little too big, especially for people who want to use the Ionic as a sports watch.
Fitbit Ionic GPS Smart Watch, Charcoal/Smoke Gray, One Size (S & L Bands Included)
- Start dynamic personalized workouts on your wrist with step-by-step coaching. Syncing range: Up to 30 feet. Certain features like smartphone notifications may require Android 5.0+. Syncs with Mac OS X 10.6 and up, iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later, Android 4.4 and later and Windows 10 devices
- Store and play 300+ songs, plus download playlists from Pandora
- Use built-in GPS/GLONASS to track pace, distance & routes and get Pure Pulse continuous heart rate tracking & real-time zones
- Package includes both large and small size bands for the perfect, comfortable fit for all-day & all-night wear
- Access your favorite apps for sports, weather & more and make payments on the go with a built-in NFC chip
Apple Smart Watch – Series 3
No matter what degree of knowledge you have on the wearables market, you know about the Apple Watch. Another high-end consumer product from the minimalist tech empire. Though Apple was not the first to manufacture smart watches, they were the company that brought the tech up to an elegant standard.
And they have not stopped pushing for the perfection of their art.
The Series 3 smartwatch is the latest incarnation in the series and by far the most technologically advanced. Mostly due to the fact that this smartwatch does not need a smartphone to work.
Yes. A smartwatch untethered.
This is the headline that is bringing people in droves to wanting to purchase the Series 3. It is suited toward either the business professional, the sports person, or the all-out style buff. The product has something to offer everybody.
- LTE connectivity. Turning your smart tech wearable into a device capable of making calls, sending texts, and streaming music. Allowing your watch to harness all the features that made a phone a necessity.
- The Series 3 Apple Watch is water resistant up to 50 meters, has a built-in barometric altimeter, heart rate monitor, and GPS. Making a perfect watch for the sortiest amongst you.
- Comes with both an S/M and an L/XL sports watch band.
- The life of a full battery charge only lasts around 18 hours. A common complaint with Apple products is their low battery life, something that Apple needs to address. But it does have a lot going on to drain the battery that quickly.
- The screen display comes in at 1.3 inches (340 x 272) which is rather small for this device.
Apple Smart Watch 38mm Watch Series 3 – GPS – Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Sport Band – 38mm
- Space Gray Aluminum Chassis with Ion-X Glass, Black Sport Band, 8GB of Storage
- 1.3 Inch (340 x 272) Display, Changeable Faces with Widgets
- Displays Notifications and Runs Apps, Accelerometer and gyroscope, Heart rate sensor
- Water-Resistant to 164 feet (50 meters), Heart Rate Monitor, Built-In GPS, Barometric Altimeter
- Up to 18 hours of battery life, Apple Watch Series 3 38mm (GPS) requires an iPhone 5s or later with iOS 11 or later; Bluetooth 4.2, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Apple watchOS 4.0
Ticwatch S Smartwatch-Knight
We feel that Ticwatch is one of best smartwatches to pay visual homage to its predecessor, the analog watch. It sits subtly on the wrist and has a range of possible watch face skin displays to choose from. Allowing it to blend into your look effortlessly.
This seems like it is the flagship of the non-Samsung manufactured android devices. Everything that it makes available to the user feels specifically tailored to the individual. If you are sporty, organizational, or just a fan of the best waterproof smartwatches out there, this one will work wonders for you.
- With the use of the Google Now function, the Ticwatch can become your own personal assistant. This voice-activated service uses Google Maps, Google Translate and Weather available to answer your every request.
- The PlayStore offers you the chance at obtaining many different skins for your watch face display. Helping keep this smartwatch looking fresh and adding to your daily style.
- The whole design of this smartwatch works brilliantly for sportspeople. With easy to read bezel markings, a breathable sports wristband, and a high tech GPS Antenna integrated.
- Only IP67 water and dust resistant. Making it unsuitable for actual submersion which limits the sports implications of Ticwatch
- Unfortunately, this smartwatch comes without the ability to support NFC (near field connectivity) software.
Ticwatch S Smartwatch-Knight,1.4 inch OLED Display, Android Wear 2.0,Compatible with iOS and Android, Google Assistant
- Androidwear 2.0. Make the most of every minute.Get your favorite apps and watch faces.Request a car ride. Perfect your golf swing. Explore a new neighborhood. With thousands of Android Wear apps, there’s no limit to what you can do with your watch.
- Stay connected with a glance.Personalize your watch face to show your next appointment, your fitness stats, or your contacts. Android cellphone could check calls and respond to messages, right from your watch.
- Follow your fitness.Track workouts data from Google Fit and your favorite apps. Get fitness coaching, measure heart rate and stream music right from your wrist. Androidwear watches with cellular connectivity let you use apps even when leaving phone behind
- Android Wear requires a phone running Android 4.3+ or iOS 9+. Supported features may vary between platforms. Android Wear for iOS is available for iPhone 5 and later.
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee for Any Reason, 12-Month Warranty for Quality-Related Issues
Samsung Gear S2
The smartphone tech battle of Android vs iOS, Samsung vs Apple, finds another plane to fight upon with both companies constantly releasing powerful, elegant smartwatches. Any product from the Samsung range embodies everything that Android wants in the perfect wearable. Classic style, an easy to use interface, bringing the full force of Google features along for the ride.
The Gear S2 is currently being outshined by the release of its successor, the Gear S3. But we feel that it still has a tonne of potential to be regarded as one of the best smartwatches available today.
- Circular touchscreen with a rotating bezel. Makes for a smooth navigation throughout the operating system. Having a rotating bezel could work really well for you folks that want a more fitness capable smartwatch.
- Comes with a convenient wireless docking station. Just place it on top and wait until it reaches full power.
- With the purchase of the Samsung Gear S2, you are up for getting up to a full year’s membership to Under Armour applications for free. This really hones in for the sports market.
- Only provides you with a choice of 3 watch face skin displays. Which is not incredibly personable.
- Works with IP68 dust and water resistance. Not suitable for full submersion which makes it unsuitable for most all water activities.
Samsung Gear S2 Smartwatch – Classic
- With rotating bezel and unique circular interface, easily access your apps and notifications and Battery performance may vary depending on network conditions and configuration, and device usage.
- Send and receive texts, calendar notifications, news updates and more right on the Gear S2 classic.
- Choose from hundreds of custom watch faces to match your style. Compatible with select Bluetooth capable smartphones using Android OS 4.4 and later with at least 1.5GB RAM as well as iPhone 5 and later with iOS 9.0 and above
- Complete your individual style with a selection of optional watch straps, creating a personalized look for every moments..Compatible with most Android smartphones. It doesn’t have speakers, hence use Level U bluetooth headphones to hear music
- Dust and Water-resistant IP68 Certified Dust and Water Resistant
Huawei Watch 2 Sport
Always nipping at the heels of the two giants of smart handheld and wearable tech are the products of Huawei. Though not the commercial hit of Apple and Samsung, they are every bit as user-friendly and advanced.
The Huawei Watch 2 Sport is the most recent in the company’s line of high-end spec wearables – and hopefully not the last by any means. We feel that this timepiece is one of the best smartwatches on the market today thanks to its battery life capacity and smart assistant capabilities.
- This smartwatch comes NFC enabled. The near-field connectivity of the watch helps work Android pay, a hands-free, and wireless payment system.
- Access to Google assistant makes this smartwatch another brilliant assistance for around your wrist. Bringing all the elements of Google together with the voice-activated control could make working on any project a breeze.
- Unlike many other smartwatches featured on this list, the Huawei Sport 2 has customizable battery settings designed for different functions. The battery life lasts for up to 7 hours on constant GPS, on its Smart Power Saving function it can last up to 2 days, and up to 3 weeks on classic Watch-Mode.
- Only works with IP68 dust and water resistance. Unsuitable for complete submersion, which gives water sports people a disadvantage here.
- Though it is available, the calling feature of the smartwatch is a little tricky to get used to in the beginning. Having it swap from phone to watch needs a little getting used to.
Huawei Watch 2 Sport Smartwatch – Ceramic Bezel – Carbon Black Strap (US Warranty)
- Built-in GPS and continuous heart rate: monitor your heart rate and track your workout routes without your phone
- Scientific sleep tracking: HUAWEI TruSleep keeps track of light, deep and REM sleep stages to make your sleep truly restful
- Workout Coach: get real-time guidance and workout data such as recovery time and Vo2 Max
- NFC and Google assistant: make payments and have a personal voice assistant from your wrist
- Music and power: download and listen to music with Google Play Music on your watch. You can optimize power consumption settings to get the most out of your device
Fossil Q Gen 3 Smartwatch
Fossil watches are best known for being ultra stylish for less money. The style of these watches never falters from being rustic and simplistic stitching up the very best of looks. The same can easily be said about the Q Generation smartwatches that Fossil has been producing for a number of years now.
Taking a step back from the classic look of stainless steel metal casings and leather watch bands that Fossil is known for, with the Q Gen 3 they seem to want to move in a more unified step.
Though that can’t stop you customizing your smartwatch. They have you covered on that front too.
- The Fossil’s operating system offers the wearer many different display skins for you to choose from. They also have a range of watch straps that come separately. When both of these customizing options are used together, you can easily fool people as to the size of your watch collection.
- Obviously, this statistic is based on how you use the smartwatch and how long you use it for. But the normal battery life at full charge can last up to 24 hours.
- With a water resistance rating of IP67, the Fossil Q Gen 3 is fully dust and water resistant. But it cannot stand to be fully submerged in water.
- Sitting on the wrist a little too large and little too weighted.
Fossil Q Gen 3 Smartwatch – Smoke Explorist
- Stay connected with display notifications and touchscreen functionality for texts, calls, emails, and app updates. Wear OS by Google connects your watch and smartphone using Bluetooth technology, so you can stay on top of what’s happening in your world
- With built-in activity tracking, you can track your everyday accomplishments including steps, distance, and calories burned. Automatically syncs to your phone so you can keep tabs on your activity and notifications without ever pushing a button
- Customize the face of your smartwatch anytime you want. Choose a Fossil or Wear OS by Google design, adjust the colors, and assign your favorite apps to the dial. Fit your style with interchangeable straps – compatible with all Fossil brand 22m straps
- Effortlessly charge your Fossil Q by placing it on the inductive charging magnet (included). This wearable has an estimated 24-hour battery life, based on usage
- Powered with Wear OS by Google, a trademark of Google LLC. Your wearable is compatible with Android and iOS smartphones, specifically with Android OS 4.4+ (excluding Go) or iOS 9.3+. All devices have Bluetooth(R) 4.1 Low Energy and Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
Motorola Moto 360 (2nd Gen)
The Motorola Moto smartwatch series was one of the first to truly put their name to wearables and manufacture products that offered well-rounded connectivity to the wearer.
Getting into the style and tech craze earlier gave Motorola the advantage of being the wearable series that all others aspire to.
Continuing the track record of these elegant pieces the 360 2nd Gen brings a fresh new face to the range.
- Though it operates on the Android wear OS, the Moto is a cross-compatible smartwatch. It can be paired with either an iPhone or an Android phone with no hang-ups over your smartphones OS.
- The Moto allows you to customize your watch face display whenever you want. You can also change separately available watch bands. With a whole range of possibilities to choose from.
- Works at only IP67 dust and water resistance. For that fact it, unfortunately, is not waterproof.
Motorola Moto 360 (2nd Gen.) – Mens 46mm, Silver with Cognac Leather
- All healthy relationships need space. Including the one with your phone. That’s why there’s the new Moto 360. It streamlines your mobile life by delivering the information that matters to you, giving you more time to do the things you love
- Updates, not interruptions: Stay connected and up to date by getting messages, news, weather, and more without constantly having to check your phone.
- Men’s and women’s collections: Choose from modern designs made specifically for men or women, each one precision-crafted and built to last.
- Classic round design: With edge-to-edge glass and an exceptionally thin bezel, you see more all the way around.
- Moto Body fitness tracker: Keep fit by tracking your steps, calories, and heart rate right from your wrist.
Vector Luna Watch
A relatively unknown name in the realms of wearables but one that we feel deserves more of a spotlight shone over it. The Vector Luna smartwatch looks to be a no-nonsense smart design that works easily on the field, in the boardroom, or out on the town.
The folks over at Vector believe that a watch, no matter how technologically advanced it is, should work first as a watch and a gadget second. That being said though, they have added a lot of incredible functions to this product for it to work incredibly as both.
- The biggest thing that can be said about this watch is that the battery life, at full charge, can last up to 30+ days on the ‘always on’ screen. Truly amazing numbers.
- It is completely waterproof. Rejoice swimmers and water sports enthusiasts!
- With the Vector Watch Mobile App, the entire watch becomes customizable. From watch displays to what notification streams you wish to receive or have cut from your smartwatch.
- The Vector comes without a heart monitor installed which does not help if you are after a sports watch.
Vector Watch Luna Smartwatch-30 Day+ Autonomy, 5ATM, Notifications, Activity Tracking – Champagne Gold/Black Croco-Elegant
- 30 day+ battery life; always on monochrome display; glanceable notifications, no touch screen or complicated menus, so the lens is always clean; compatible with most iOS, Android and Windows 10 smartphones
- Full suite of customizable watch faces, data streams and apps. Including data streams like: weather, date, time zone, social media insights (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) or smart apps like: remote music and camera control, news, Nest, Uber or Evernote.
- Activity, calorie, distance and sleep tracking & reports; integration with Google Fit & Apple Health kit; collects GPS real time data from your phone: speed, pace and altitude.
- Read all your incoming texts, emails and phone notifications at a glance; rejects or accept phone calls from your wrist; find my phone function
- Crafted from solid 316L stainless steel and mineral glass, 5ATM water resistant. Champagne gold case with high polished details. Black leather strap with croco-effect and solid steel butterfly closure
NIXON Mission SS Smartwatch
You can’t host a list of the best smartwatches available on the market today without including a Nixon Mission SS watch. These men’s watches are structurally sound watches that are packed full of the gadgets and capabilities that you would expect from this quality manufacturer.
The mission statement of NIXON is that they make products that are fueled by adventure. Making sure that your watch is as adventurous as you are. All aspects of the Mission SS smartwatch follow a rugged and high-intensity design.
- The NIXON Mission offers the sportsman in you Shred Alerts. These notifications work in sync with Google alerts to let you know the snow and surf conditions that surround you, in real-time.
- This smartwatch has an AMOLED screen that is incredibly colorful and works with multi-touch touchscreen tech.
- Works best with for the Android user. Not compatible with iOS devices.
Nixon Men’s ‘Mission SS’ Smartwatch Plastic and Stainless Steel Casual Watch, Color:Rose Gold-Toned (Model: A1216)
- MISSION SS, GOLD. Designed with brawn and brains, the gold 48mm Mission SS was created for the action sportsman in the water, the snow, and on and off the trails.
- ULTRA-SMART. Beyond the time, the Mission SS offers Bluetooth 4.1, GPS, thermometer, altimeter, barometer, e-compass, gyrometer, accelerometer, and humidity sensors.
- SHRED ALERTS. Powered by Wear OS Google software, the Mission SS syncs with Surfline and Snocountry, world-leading sources for surf and snow conditions, to deliver real-time shred alerts directly to your wrist.
- FUELED BY ADVENTURES. We deliver products that meet your needs in various high-intensity work and play environments, whether it’s across the globe or close to home.
- FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. Through our dedicated teams perspectives, we contribute to a single unified expression: team-designed, custom-built accessories. For a life well-lived.
Garmin Fenix 3 HR
The name Garmin is synonymous with hardlined tech that is long lasting and hard to beat in the open market. The Fenix 3 HR falls under those categories with ease. Offering some interesting wearable tech functions to the wearer, along with a style that can adapt to any occasion.
- The Fenix 3 is designed for the outdoor sportsman. It comes complete with navigation features like an altimeter, barometer, a 3-axis compass, and a trackback feature that traces the trail you have hiked along.
- A chroma watch display encased in a high-strength sapphire lens making it tough to even scratch.
- The battery life of the Fenix 3 can last up to 2 weeks between charges, depending on usage and the settings it is set to. Lasting up to 16 hours in GPS mode and 40 hours in the UltraTrac battery saver mode.
- The watch face sits on the hand rather large. Making the watch look a little clunky at the wrist.
- Though this watch is suited as the being one of the best sports watches for men, it can only reach 100 meters of water resistance. With all the other capabilities this smartwatch has, you would think it could go deeper.
Through this piece, we hope that you have learned some interesting features and capabilities of smartwatch technology that you can take with you into your search.
As for us, we believe that out of the list curated for you above there is one clear winner that should stop everyone searching in their tracks.
The product of the Vector start-up, the Vector Luna ticks every box that we were using throughout this list. The 30+ days of battery life was the kicker. But the fact that it is fully waterproof, is fully customizable and stylish for every occasion to boot, makes it the most powerful contender we have seen.
We think that you agree that the Vector Luna has surpassed every function and requirement one of best smartwatches on the market should have.