During winter, some people prefer beaches some people prefer mountain tops. Personally, I always choose a mountain top and I get chills down my spine whenever I pick a destination to go hike next. There is more that meets the eye than just hitting the trail and carrying a bag and leaving for a hike. Planning is key and a backpack is a necessity. Finding the best hiking backpacks then begs for attention since a hiking backpack shouldn’t be any backpack or sack you bump into. So, how do you find a backpack that works for you?
What do we consider as best hiking backpack?
There are certain traits that you need to look into when looking for the best hiking backpacks. Not every backpack will be appropriate to be carry while hiking. Some of these traits my look cliché, I know, but they are very important to note.
A backpack that is sculptured to a hugging internal frame where it complements the body of the hiker is ideal. This ensures maximum body composure, stability, and balance on uneven terrain and trails that might be challenging to walk on. Backpacks with an external frame are well customized for carrying heavy luggage or irregular load that might not be proportionate to any other backpack.
This dictates the limit or the amount of luggage to carry. The amount of load to carry depends on a lot of factors like what season, length of hiking, preferences, luxuries and such stuff, so finding a backpack that will cater for your needs should be ideal. Do not invest in a large pack when you are only going for a night of camping. Well, most experienced hikers may fit comfortably all their load in a 40-50 L pack. Newer hikers might consider packs with larger volumes.
Apart from your sleeping bag, tent, sleeping pad, your backpack is the heaviest of all other things during your hiking, well, except if you want to carry your TV with you. So a backpack that is light saves you the hassle of irrelevant weight and constant fatigue before reaching your desired spot on the trail or mountain top.
A simple hiking backpack goes a long way in ensuring the comfort of your hiking experience. Actually, brands that maintain simple and streamlined designs are the ones that make among the best hiking backpacks. All that matters is a sack that will comfortably carry your gear, so all the excess pouches, straps, clips and compartments will be useless. Go for a design that suits your comfort rather than complexity.
The best hiking backpacks should not break the bank. With that being said, a good backpack doesn’t come cheaply either. The care given to a backpack will determine its durability in the long run and how many miles of hiking it will serve you. Here, we will discuss backpacks with ranging prices as well as their pros and cons.
Osprey Packs Exos 58 Backpack
Osprey Exos 58 is one of the best backpacks that could offer you an amazing hiking experience. The backpack together with its components has a lifetime guarantee. This means the pack and its components have lifetime protection against damage.
The Osprey Exos 58 pack is one of my favorite packs due to its lightweight. It only weighs 2.7 pounds, while offering a great combination of comfort and toughness without carrying any added weight. The presence of a light wire frame offers maximum support when carrying loads of up to 40 pounds. It is easy to make adjustments with the Osprey Exos 58 . There are three main points of adjustments: shoulder straps, sternum straps, and the hip belt. You can easily make adjustments with the bag on, in a very short time.
The Exos 58 backpack is durable and tough. It is made from high-quality material that is tough when it comes to long-term wear and tear. When looking for a pack that can rely on for a long period of time, the Exos 58 backpack could meet your expectations.
The main inner space of the pack is just one big compartment. This enables easy organization of your items for quick access. There are compression straps that ensure the gear is stable when carrying, and stretch mesh side pockets for storing water bottles. The trekking pole attachment is useful in steep terrain for safety. This truly is one of the best hiking backpacks on the market today.
- It is lightweight, weighing only 2.7 pounds.
- It is durable. The pack is made from high-quality material.
- Airspeed suspension keeps ventilation between the load and your back.
- Easy height adjustment, from the shoulder straps, sternum straps, and hip belt.
- Hip belt not adjustable.
- The absence of hip belt and shoulder strap pockets.
Osprey Packs Exos 58 Backpack
- An internal sewn-in backpanel sleeve with clip attachment accommodates up to 3 liters of hydration and Fabric-main 100d high tenacity nylon,accent 100d high tenacity nylon ripstop bottom 100d high tenacity nylon ripstop
- The Exos peripheral frame is a 6065 aluminum alloy with an internal suspended cross strut providing excellent load carrying support.
- The ExoForm sewn-in, EVA foam padded harness combines breathability and performance with seamless layered mesh
- The ExoForm sewn-in hipbelt features seamless layered mesh covered foam providing exceptional comfort
- A removable floating top pocket with an internal key clip and under-lid zippered mesh pocket provides organization
Mountaintop 65 Liter Internal Frame Backpack
Hiking may at times involve going to places you had never been before. The choice of a backpack can determine the fate of your hiking experience. The Mountaintop backpack could be your best guarantee of a fruitful hiking.
The Mountaintop has a 65 volume capacity. The size is big enough to carry all your required items for a hike lasting a week-long. The pack is made of high-quality material, the Korean nylon that is durable and guarantees the backpack for many hikes.
The design is sleek and smart, easily adjustable to different torso sizes. Again, it has an adjustable back-length function that is suitable for people of different sizes and heights. This makes the backpack comfortable and the loads easier to carry.
The Torso straps add comfort to the pack, and the padded hip and shoulder straps ensure the weight is distributed from the shoulders to the hips. This helps to reduce back pains and fatigue as well as shoulder sores.
There is a built-in waterproof cover which protects your gear from rains. This makes the hiking comfortable even in extreme weather conditions. There are several compression straps that enable you to tie other items like sleeping bags and a hydration system for a water bladder.
- Large interior volume space divided into two compartments, enabling you to keep some items separately.
- Quality waterproof material.
- Height adjuster allowing for eight different heights.
- Padded straps for comfort.
- No sleeping bag pocket.
- Very few side pockets.
MOUNTAINTOP 55L/65L Internal Frame Backpack Hiking Backpack with Rain Cover-5822III
- YKK Zipper:YKK brand zippers open and close smoothly with each pull.
- YKK Buckle:These high quality buckles clip together easily,buckle up and release quickly when needed.
- -WARRANTY- Includes 90 days limited warranty.
- Washing Instruction:Water-resistant coating fabric. Please don’t wash with liquid detergent or bleach.
- Note:Please feel free to leave us a message if you have any questions.
Teton Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack
Teton Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack is among the top-selling internal frame backpack and could be the best for you when going for light backpacking trips of between 2-4 days.
The pack has plenty of internal space available for a weekend trip. This is due to 50l capacity that could allow you to pack all your important items at ease. The internally framed design is suitable for loads under 50 pounds.
Teton Sports Scout 3400 Backpack Review has torso adjustments that fit close to all body type and size. It is loaded with compression straps on the top, the bottom, and the front to allow you to pack more items.
The pack has a hip belt padded with open-cell foam that enables the packs’ weight to be distributed from the shoulder to the hips for comfortable carry. The harness has molded channels for better airflow to avoid sweating on the back.
The backpack has a rain fly attached. This helps to keep your stuff safe from water damage, for a great hiking experience.
- Great size for smaller people.
- It is ideal for light-backpacking.
- Water-resistant rainfly.
- Adjustable torso length.
- It’s bulky, weighing 4.5 pounds.
- It is not comfortable for taller people.
TETON Sports Scout 3400 Women Bags
- NOT YOUR BASIC BACKPACK
- COMFORT YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE
- TRUSTED QUALITY
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE
Gregory Mountain Products Baltoro 75 Liter Hiking Backpack
It might be a favorite choice for you, especially when carrying heavy weight due to its large capacity. The latest models have been modernized with better ventilation, new pocket layouts, and lighter designs.
It features a top-loading shape with a front u-zip panel which opens from top to bottom. This enables you access your items easily to the main body compartment. The 75l capacity allows you to pack as many items as possible for your hiking adventure.
The compression straps keep your load from shifting when carrying. The hip belt ensures the weight is well distributed from the shoulders to the hips for carrying comfortably.
The Gregory Mountain Baltoro backpack has a great organization. Surprisingly, it has a total of 10 well-sized exterior pockets. You can store more items in these pockets including water bottles. There is also an ultra-light daypack in the main compartment called the sidekick. It serves as a hydration sleeve, storing close to 3-liter capacity inside the main pack.
The pack features a rain cover that is on the underside of the top lid. In challenging weather conditions, this helps to keep your items safe from water damage. The pack comes with a sleeping bag compartment and is very durable from the high-quality materials.
- Great organization.
- It is comfortable to carry.
- It is made from a high-quality nylon material that is durable.
- Has a rain cover with a waterproof pocket on the hip belt.
- It is relatively heavy, weighing 5 pounds.
- The chest strap is adjustable but not comfortable for large chests.
Gregory Mountain Products Baltoro 75 Liter Men’s Multi Day Hiking Backpack
- Vented back panel features LifeSpan foam & silicone lumbar grip for a precise fit Pre-curved LifeSpan foam components for precise fit
- Removable raincover stowes in its own zippered pocket
- WeatherShield PU-coated hipbelt accessory pocket
High Sierra Appalachian 75 Hiking Backpack
High Sierra Appalachian 75 Backpack is a great pack for outdoor and backpacking adventures. It is however heavy, but among the best hiking backpacks for moderately long backpacking trips.
The backpack is adjustable, allowing for more customization and can be used as a travel backpack. If you are shorter, you can adjust the pack to your shoulder and back size, and if you are taller you can pull it back to right size. The hip belt allows you to comfortably carry the pack as the weight is distributed from the shoulders to the hips.
The backpack features shoulder straps that fit very well. This allows air to circulate well and keeps your back from getting too sweaty. The high volume of the pack allows you to carry maximum items for your hiking. There are also many convenient pockets that allow you to pack your items separately for easier access. The pack has two mesh pockets on the side where you can pack your water bottles.
There are three access points to the main compartments which are very convenient for easy access to the items. The rain fly fits the pack to keep away the water in case of rainy weather.
- The 75 liter provides for great storage space.
- The rain fly cover is included.
- Great design, with a classic top lid and front panel u-shaped zippered entrance.
- Great organization, with many convenient pockets that allows you to pack your items differently.
- It is heavy, weighing around 5 pounds.
- Waist strap not very adjustable.
High Sierra Appalachian 75 Internal Frame Backpack, Mercury/Ash/Yell-O
- HIGH QUALITY, LIGHTWEIGHT and DURABLE: this 75l internal frame backpack is made from Nylon Mini-Diamond Ripstop and Mini-Weave Duralite fabric for superior durability; comes with a water resistant rain cover tucked away and stored in a bottom pocket
- DESIGNED FOR COMFORT: the backpack’s internal frame has adjustable aluminum frame bars contoured to fit your back; padded back panel, shoulder harness and waist belt with Vapel mesh Airflow provide comfort and ease of carrying
- BUILT FOR STABILITY: The High Sierra Appalachian 75 internal frame pack includes an adjustable sternum strap that keeps shoulder straps centered on shoulders; side and bottom compression straps help secure gear for maximum stability
- LARGE STORAGE CAPACITY: This hiking and backpacking backpack has a 75-liter top-load main compartment; a drop-bottom sleeping bag compartment with divider; an internal hydration reservoir sleeve with dual exit ports; and mesh pockets to hold water bottles
- CONVENIENT and EASY ACCESS: features a handy removable media pocket for easy access to your gadgets; front access top load main compartment to easily pack and unpack your gear; rain cover tucked away in the bottom compartment for quick, convenient access
Teton Sports Grand 5500 Backpack
This is a great 90 liters pack that could serve you very well on extended tours. It is lightweight while still providing enough space for your adventure items.
The front access features a u-shaped zipper. This opens like a suitcase, enabling you to pack all your required items easily, for quicker access. The pack has black oxford shell that is suitable for most challenging terrains in different parts of the world, making it very durable.
The adjustable harness can move up and down, to accommodate any torso length. This makes it suitable even for tall people. The padded shoulder straps could ease carrying of the pack while preventing the formation of shoulder sores.
There are two compression straps that allow your gear to remain stable when carrying. There is an adjustable back panel, which allows you feel comfortable when the pack is fully loaded.
Teton Sports Grand Backpack has two aluminum stays that give it maximum strength and comfort.
- It has an adjustable harness.
- It is made from high-quality fabric that is durable.
- Three access points to the main compartment.
- Great storage, comprising of 90 liters that can fit a lot of your stuff.
- The two aluminum stays may not be strong enough for the pack.
TETON Sports Grand 5500 Ultralight Plus Backpack; Lightweight Hiking Backpack for Camping, Hunting, Travel, and Outdoor Sports
- THE GRAND DADDY OF THEM ALL: Internal frame backpack for hiking, backpacking, camping and travel; Pack all your adventure gear in and on this pack; This is your EXTREME hiking backpack
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR FIT: Extra padded split waist band with hip and torso adjustments offer a perfect customizable fit; Unique lumbar adjustment; Travel backpack for men and women
- DURABLE: Strong shell for the most rugged hiking and camping adventures; Multiple compression straps, strong buckles and storm proof zippers
- BUILT FOR COMFORT: Lightweight frame for stability – you feel less of the load; Padded lumbar region sits comfortably on your back; Designed for pros at a price that is friendly to beginners
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE: Reach out to our AMAZING customer service team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN COUNT ON US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with TETON Sports
Granite Gear Crown 2 60 Backpack
The Granite Gear Crown 2 60 is a great multi-day pack and a successor to the Crown V.C 60. It could be one of the best hiking backpacks due to its long durability and great carrying comfort.
The pack has a removable top lid for better organization of the items. The backpack is light in weight for easier carry. This is due to a light frame sheet, less padding, and a thinner waist belt; it weighs less than 2.5 pounds.
The padded shoulder straps are adjustable to ensure the load is comfortable and prevent the formation of shoulder sores. The pack is made with a high-quality fabric material that is urethane coated for water resistance and is durable. The central area has an adjustable compression strap which could allow you to increase or decrease the loads’ capacity. This also helps to keep the loads stable.
The Granite Crown has two water hose ports on both sides to keep you hydrated throughout the hiking adventure. The high volume capacity could allow you to pack all your required hiking gear. It has an adjustable hip belt that allows fitting to different body sizes.
- Water resistant material protects your stuff from damage.
- Adjustable waist belt.
- It is lightweight, weighing less than 2.5 pounds.
- Comfortable to carry due to padded straps.
- The hip belt allows customization of different body types.
- Stitching on belt strap is not reliable.
Granite Gear Crown 2 60 Backpack – Men’s
- Dual density shoulder harness with load-lifter straps and removable sternum strap
- Re-Fit fully adjustable (from 28 – 40in), dual density hip belt
- Dual large hip belt pockets with DWR treated zippers
- Roll-top main compartment opening with centered dual strap and singular buckle for quick access and easy compression
- Removable lid has a compartment with DWR treated zipper
Kelty Redwing 50 Backpack
The Redwing 50 is a great pack that you can use for weekend trips, as well as international travels. You can easily load your clothes and other items via the large zip main compartment, and easily adjust the torso for a better fitting.
The main compartment has a large zipper, where you can store all your items with ease. You can easily access any item from the bottom, without necessarily having to unpack everything in search of one. The pack also features multiple large separate pockets where you can pack your items separately. For example, you can keep food and drinks separate from electronics. There are water bottle pockets on the side where you can store any liquid of your choice during the adventure.
The pack has well-padded back and shoulder straps and is well ventilated. This ensures the load is comfortable to carry and the back does not over sweat because there is enough airflow. The well-padded hip belt provides comfort as the weight is well distributed from the shoulders to the waist area.
The two compression straps are large and you can use them to strap larger items to the pack’s back. You can adjust the torso length to achieve your right size. The 50-liter capacity could allow you to store many items and the pack is lightweight. The pack is made from polyester fabric that is durable.
- Great organizational features, with a large zip main compartment and multiple pockets for separate storage.
- Convenient loading access to the main compartment.
- Adjustable torso length.
- Side pockets for attaching different items.
- The absence of hip belt pockets.
- Side mesh pockets are easily damaged.
- No lockable zippers.
Kelty Redwing 50 Backpack
- Pockets: 1 interior slip, 7 interior zip
The above best hiking backpacks come in handy depending on the length of your hiking trip as well the volume you intent to carry along with you. So deciding on which backpack, you will consider the factors we initially covered then depending on what suits you, make a pick.
Our all-time pick would be the Osprey Exos 58. This backpack makes a complete checklist for all your hiking needs. To begin with, it is a lightweight pack so everything to do with excessive weight you will have that covered. It comes in three different sizes so it is easy to decide what volume works for your desired getaway. The material of the bag is highly durable and lasts for a long time. The Osprey lifetime guarantee also accompanies this backpack so whenever your pack has an issue, Osprey will always be willing to amend or replace for you.
Feel free to check out the above bags and leave us a comment on your thoughts on this list.